Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure issues!!!

I have a 98 TA that I swapped out the LS1 for an LS6. Its been line honed, new bearings (cam, main, rod), new ported oil pump, pistons, rods, rings, ctsv-r lifters (soaked) and had the motor primed at the shop via a vacuum system.

After we fired it up, the oil pressure dropped from about 50 to 30psi and stays there.....at 30psi...I've never taken it over 4k rpm, but when we hit the gas, oil pressure stays the same , or drops a bit! I put in a new oil pressure sending unit and installled an autometer full sweep electic gauge just to make sure there are no errors....still, both gauges read the same.

BTW, I've replaced the Oring on the pick up too. Im having the owner of an LS build shop come by and help me out. He is also the guy that machined and assembled the longblock. He said, " he's making a fitting to somehow prime the motor with the pan off to see where oil is hemoraging". I'm new to this technique so I probably didnt describe it to its best potential. He is thinking that it may be an issue with the ctsv-r lifters not working with the cam that I have. So, hopefully a lifter swap will fix the issue....if not......the motor comes out again!!! Any advice,suggestions,recomendations,ect would be great!!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you remember to put the plastic "bar bell" behind the rear main cover?

Also just food for thought. When I built my engine I cut the top off a QT of oil and held it in to the oil pick up tube while my brother cranked the engine over with a wrench and it sucked the entire QT up quick. Let all the oil run back down in to a pan then bolted the oil pan on. Nothing too hi-tech so I'm not sure what kind of fitting he's talking about.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also do you remember if this plug was removed at the machine shop and not reinstalled ?

Quick Reply: oil pressure issues!!!