Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failing lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failing lifters?

I did a head and cam swap over the christmas break car ran good for a while then developed a pretty hard miss. Thought it was the fuel pump bc the fuel pressure was bouncing a lot so i replaced it, that wasnt the problem. Just wondering if it sounds like lifters. The problem seems to be real bad when its cold has a hard time idling and driving after a while it seems like the problem goes away. I was wondering if i have a lifter not priming up? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Morgan
Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MFCptnMorgan
I did a head and cam swap over the christmas break car ran good for a while then developed a pretty hard miss. Thought it was the fuel pump bc the fuel pressure was bouncing a lot so i replaced it, that wasnt the problem. Just wondering if it sounds like lifters. The problem seems to be real bad when its cold has a hard time idling and driving after a while it seems like the problem goes away. I was wondering if i have a lifter not priming up? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Morgan
Any audible lifter/rocker noise that seems abnormal? Also, did you tune the car after the parts swap?

Last edited by salemetro; 02-17-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

It has a slight lifter tap hard to hear but its there. And i havent had the car tuned yet bc i've heard with a 6 speed it doesnt have to be tuned immediately. Right? Thanks for the reply
Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll guess your problem is your tune...as with all engines they are more bitchy when cold. If you had a bad lifters it would be LOUD. You are probably hearing piston slap which is common on our engines because of the short piston skirts. Or the "sewing machine" sound from the valve train which is pretty normal too
Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a tune and that should fox your problem...even the manuals need tuned asap, but the a4 is worst without a proper tune.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot guys ill have a tune within the next week
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

I do have a question. Why would the car run fine for a little while then start running like complete garbage? It ran fine for a month or so. Just curious

Quick Reply: Failing lifters?