Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pistions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pistions?

I have a stock 5.3 going in to my 39 chevy and i do not know a whole lot about the ls engines, im wondering about the pistons and if their good for nothing or if im able to spray some nitrous or boost it at all. I have the heads getting machined so the top end is redone. should i just run it with the fresh heads or can the bottom end handle a power adder?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do a little research, but yes you will be fine. There are lots of people on here running pretty high boost on stock 5.3's, may want to read a few of the threads and see if they are filing ring gaps or anything. Only thing I would suggest is replacing you rod bolts with ARP's and and ARP head bolts, unless you plan on giving it a lot of boost or nitrous then I'd stud the heads. The 5.3 is preferred because they can be bought for a few hundred dollars, if you blow it up, go pick up another one, go through it, replace anyhing that needs it and replace bearings, then drop it back in and bolt it up. Your tune should be good to go, if you're really **** you could re-tweak the tune because every engine is going to be a little bit different, but the tune should be fine. 5.3's are cheap bang for the buck. I have a LS1 block and a complete 5.3, I have plans on using the LS1, but I have a little part of me saying just drop the 5.3 in with some forged pistons, cam, and head work, and spray the crap out of it, if it pops, oh well, buy another one, replace what's I broke in the other and go again.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea if using nitrous you wanna open the ring gaps up a little bit...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 PM

whats a known safe boost psi because i have a turbo i want to use but i thought i would be better off spraying. im not looking to push my limits but id like to run enough boost to give me that turbo edge.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well Hot Rod pushed 26psi into a 4.8 with a few upgrades, if you haven't read that article you need too, search "1200hp 4.8" and find the HRM link. I'd say.........15psib if you wanna test your boundries?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the multimedia section, one fella on there has a boosted sotck 5.3 with ebay turbo and it's sick! Veryyyyy low budget build done by him.