Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetrain Help Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvetrain Help Needed.

98 Vette with stock 806 heads with 100K and VRX5 cam, TEA Dual Gold Springs, and full bolt ons.

Ok well I went through this whole smoking and burning oil thing before to find out the valve seals did not seat correctly and had rose to the top of the valve stem. So I replaced the seals thinking that was a for sure fix. I go to change my intake today to my new bought LS6 intake to find that I have oil sitting on the tops of my valves. Every intake valve is closed has oil puddling up on the valves. And I some some weird scarring inside the head where the valve is.

So I came home tonight after work thinking that i would find all my valve seals sitting at the top again. I pulled the valve covers and check all the seals to find them still seated. So what is my problem. This isn't normal and it didn't start happening until I installed my cam.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to tell how much oil is sitting on the intake valve in the photos. I do know that the LS engines like to suck a lot of oil up through the PCV system, which contaminates the intake manifold and intake valves. Maybe you have a PCV issue here and not valve guide seals.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Well I forgot to add that I have a catch can setup on the car and their is some oil in it but not a lot and before I got the catch can it would build up inside the intake right behind the throttle body but it doesn't do that anymore.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well then, only other thing I can think of is even though the valve guide seals are in the proper place doesn't mean they aren't leaking past the sealing area. Are the seals old ... maybe they are getting hard and just wearing out.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Okay I just thought of something. I have the CCA Catch Can and when I put it on I broke the PCV line so I just cut the PCV line and now I have no PCV Valve. Could that be my problem?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mcallister513
okay i just thought of something. I have the cca catch can and when i put it on i broke the pcv line so i just cut the pcv line and now i have no pcv valve. Could that be my problem?
bingo
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
bingo
You think it get enough by to puddle like that?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Teching In

I found the exact same issue on mine a few months ago, even after I replaced the valve stem seals it still pooled oil on valves. I thought it might be valve stem guides and pulled my 806 heads to have them reworked. Machine shop said valve guides were fine but intake seals were split. Anyway, new valve stem seals and valve seats solved my problems, car is perfect now.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I found the exact same issue on mine a few months ago, even after I replaced the valve stem seals it still pooled oil on valves. I thought it might be valve stem guides and pulled my 806 heads to have them reworked. Machine shop said valve guides were fine but intake seals were split. Anyway, new valve stem seals and valve seats solved my problems, car is perfect now.
The cam prolly only has 1000 miles on it if that. I replaced everything. Spring, seals, seats, hats, and all. And I just now last week put new valve stem seals in it.

I'm going tomorrow to pick up the 04+ Valley Cover with built in PCV so maybe that will help me out.