Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

comp. trunion upgrade problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

In that case, I would suggest you replace all the snap rings in all the rockers with fresh new ones from Comp. Be careful to spread them just enough to get them installed.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This just happened to me too, except I found it on my magnetic oil pan drain bolt. It went through my whole motor and I don't know if it damaged anything. My motor is running fine. Comp is sending me new snap rings and they say they're investigating the problem. I asked if them snap rings were made in China and claim they aren't. This is a $0.04 part that can destroy the whole motor. People that have the COMP LS1 Trunion Kit better check for damaged snap-rings.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of mine did this when I tried to install it. I didn't over-stretch it, this was a defect. I emailed Comp and they sent a new one.

I wonder if the snap rings are really necessary, anyone run the rockers without them?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, strange for sure! I just put a set together a few months ago, the snaps went in normally with nothing to indicate any future problem...
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine went smoothly also... I have about 600-700 miles on my new setup and I was gonna pull the covers and see whats up with the new snap rings...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but was looking into this upgrade and am curious if others have recently had these problems with the snap ring. Mayb was a manufacturing problem that was fixed.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

We ran into this problem on the engine dyno, and actually had a few break just like yours. Turns out the bearings were actually walking out of the rocker on some of the rockers. We chalked it up to the fact that we had coating on our rockers. So we pulled them apart, cleaned the rocker bearing surfaces and reassembled them with bearing retainer (green Loctite). If your rockers were previously used, the metal could have oil embedded into it.

I would recommend a thorough cleaning and even scotch brite the mating surfaces before installing the new bearings, and also applying the green Loctite. This should solve the issue.

Of course if you are paying someone else to do it, then you can't be sure what their process is. Take a close look at all the rockers and make sure the bearings are seated in the rocker (like the right one in the second picture). The rocker on the left in the 2nd picture show one of the bearings walking out. As the bearings walk out the trunion is allowed to move more laterally and gets into bind eventually. All of this happening at high rpm is going to break parts, especially small snap rings.
Attached Thumbnails comp. trunion upgrade problem-trun2.jpg   comp. trunion upgrade problem-trun4.jpg  

Last edited by Reckless; 10-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I looked at the new snap-rings that Comp sent me and the symmetry on them is screwed-up. They buy them in bulk and they are definitely made in China from the looks of them. Try to match the Comp snap-rings to a snap-rings that's made in the USA, and use those. I just don't trust the Comp snap rings.

Quick Reply: comp. trunion upgrade problem