Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blew out coolant plug on side of head??? HELP!!!

Old 04-01-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blew out coolant plug on side of head??? HELP!!!

hey guys, i need your help.

i've been driving the car with the new heads on it now for about 2 weeks. yesterday, for the first time, i went WOT through 3rd gear. at the end i could smell coolant very easily and then about a mile down the road i overheated and parked the car.

when i got the car home i started filling the radiator back up and water started pouring out of the back side of the drivers head. i pulled off the intake and felt around on the back of the head and sure enough the plug (about 1" round on the side of the heads) had blown out.

why did this happen? how hard is it gonna be to put that thing back in? anybody got a part number for it? i did ditch the coolant crossover at the front of the motor when i put the heads on, could this have caused the problem?

thanks for your help
Old 04-01-2004, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KGSloan
hey guys, i need your help.

i've been driving the car with the new heads on it now for about 2 weeks. yesterday, for the first time, i went WOT through 3rd gear. at the end i could smell coolant very easily and then about a mile down the road i overheated and parked the car.

when i got the car home i started filling the radiator back up and water started pouring out of the back side of the drivers head. i pulled off the intake and felt around on the back of the head and sure enough the plug (about 1" round on the side of the heads) had blown out.

why did this happen? how hard is it gonna be to put that thing back in? anybody got a part number for it? i did ditch the coolant crossover at the front of the motor when i put the heads on, could this have caused the problem?

thanks for your help
well being this is the first time ive heard of this happening id say that coolant crossover has a purpose as far as replacement goes i believe youll have to pull the head and seat in a new plug or take it to a machine shop or machanic if your not sure and have them do it on the cheap.

lata
Bill
Old 04-01-2004, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KGSloan
i did ditch the coolant crossover at the front of the motor when i put the heads on, could this have caused the problem?

thanks for your help

Im pretty sure you need that crossover . Any reason you removed it? I never heard of anyone removing that and when I did mine It seemed like a something that would have to be there. I would bet that would be the cause.

I found this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/154364-ditch-coolant-crossover-completely.html

It looks like someone else had the same idea

Last edited by offaxis; 04-01-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, i got it all figured out now. only reason i removed it was because it wasn't running coolant to the tb and i just thought it would look nicer without it there.

a big thanks goes to Mike M and Jay from absolute. mike called jay when he saw this post and told him about it. less than one hour after i posted this i got a call from jay and he explained it all to me. even offered to send out some new freeze plugs. you do have to have the crossover in there to bleed off air. i just figured it was there to run coolant to the tb and that was it, but i was wrong.

thanks for your input guys
Old 04-01-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Search this Thread