Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information about WalMart Tech1 oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent an evening on bob the oil guy reading results from fresh oil tests along with fresh vs used oil tests a few years ago. One of the best "widely available" reasonably priced oils was Penzoil Platnum. I remember reading results of oil being tested after 6-10k miles wear and it still meeting minimum requirements for new oil, and still testing better than some new oils. Was enough to sell me on it. I use it in all my vehicles and change every 5k in my Bird and Yukon and 7500 on the old ladies ecotec which see's ALOT of highway miles.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yet you will still find folks who will tell you Penzoil will sludge up and engine. So few people care about actual data.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by formulaon18s
I spent an evening on bob the oil guy reading results from fresh oil tests along with fresh vs used oil tests a few years ago. One of the best "widely available" reasonably priced oils was Penzoil Platnum. I remember reading results of oil being tested after 6-10k miles wear and it still meeting minimum requirements for new oil, and still testing better than some new oils. Was enough to sell me on it. I use it in all my vehicles and change every 5k in my Bird and Yukon and 7500 on the old ladies ecotec which see's ALOT of highway miles.
Yup, I swapped all my vehicles over just to test what I was running (Mobil & Valvoline) against the PP. What I got back from Blackstone was quite enlightening and since then I have been running PP in all of my vehicles. I even added another 2k to my service intervals with the PP vs the 5k I was changing it at just to see the results, and they still surpassed the Mobil readings when I was changing it at 5k. Mobil is vastly overrated imho and I will never use their products again. I also noticed that in my wifes Acadia with the DI 3.6, the Mobil would use ~.5qt oil every 3k and at ~6.5k would build a slight amount of sludge which I was assuming due to particulate matter and fuel wash getting in the oil from the DI. Thus far, the PP uses ~.3-.4qt @7k and sludge/fuel wash issues have abated and it showed in the lab reports. I'm assuming the PP does a better job at aiding in ring seal. Either way, I'm sold on it and it's cheaper so I'm happy. Just my .02
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
Synthetics have better lubrication properties, therefore they protect better. Period. It's a well know fact
It's the amount of heat they can withstand before breaking down, that is what separates them from regular oils.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Are the molecules of synthetic oil "smaller" than the molecules of conventional oil like I have herd? To the tune of 1/3 the size of a convertional molecule is what I remember hearing

...and Dr W, that was a good bit of info there. I have spend countless hours on this bloody interweb thingy, and have never seen anything like that list anywhere before
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

should be a sticky lol
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=MMWS6;17154334]Are the molecules of synthetic oil "smaller" than the molecules of conventional oil like I have herd? To the tune of 1/3 the size of a convertional molecule is what I remember hearing

No they are not smaller, they link together in a chain like configuration. That is why they protect better under extreme conditions. The molecules are less likely to break apart at the microscopic level.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would be concerned about valve seals with 6k oil change intervals .I know higher zinc levels are needed for flat tappet cams ,what about roller cams ?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was running Royal Purple in the road course car the HPS oil, I beat it up pretty good and got decent UOA back on it.

I did some reading on Pennzoil Ultra Euro, so I called Shell/Pennzoil and asked them about what oil to run in the car and they told me to run the Euro 5-40 so I ordered some off of Amazon and currently have it in the car.

Indycars use this exact oil straight out of the bottle.

After this weekend I will change it as it will have 4 track days on it and send it to Blackstone.

Quick Reply: Information about WalMart Tech1 oil