Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 243 Head install on c5

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
You can safely mill the heads up to .030 for that cam. You could probably go farther but that is the farthest I would go just to be safe on piston to valve clearance. I don't know of anyone up in that area that does porting but if you get shipping for free we do port 243/799 castings all day. We charge $750 for a cnc port, 5-angle cnc valve job, and milling. As far as pushrod length goes it would really be best to measure once we bring the variable of the milling in there. Most likely it needs to go a tad shorter, but measuring is always best.
John,

First off I wanted to thank you for all your help, it means alot. If you ever need any technology help. Let me know. I do it all.

With that said. If I am not doing a big cam because of my stock stall, and wanting to keep the Lowe end. Will doing the port work be beneficial? I know the milling will, just was wondering if it was overkill to get ported? Also alot of people are pushing me to do headers. I can't afford set of 1k or even $800 headers. But i see used ls6, ls7, even ls9 manifolds cheap. Would any of them bolt up without modification and be worth it? Unless someone is selling long tubes cheap?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should already have a ls6 intake ,check part numbers or the bottom of the intake to see if it has a flat floor.the port work will add 15+hp.you could port them your self ,practice on some cheap 5.3 heads.comp cam 54-455-11 is a torque cam that should work with a stock vette converter.check the used parts section for some headers and exhaust parts.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
you should already have a ls6 intake ,check part numbers or the bottom of the intake to see if it has a flat floor.the port work will add 15+hp.you could port them your self ,practice on some cheap 5.3 heads.comp cam 54-455-11 is a torque cam that should work with a stock vette converter.check the used parts section for some headers and exhaust parts.
when I meant ls6 and ls7 manifolds. I meant exhaust manifolds. My car does have ls6 Intake manifold.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

C6 Z06 exh manifolds

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tall-pics.html

Maybe you could find someones take off for cheap. Looks like the fit is good and these are better than C5 manifolds.

The install doesn't look cheap though unless you are a good wrench/fabricator.

Ron
Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
C6 Z06 exh manifolds

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tall-pics.html

Maybe you could find someones take off for cheap. Looks like the fit is good and these are better than C5 manifolds.

The install doesn't look cheap though unless you are a good wrench/fabricator.

Ron
Thanks Ron. I was actually just searching to see if anyone has done what I asked. I just asked him how much fab it took to get them on. He got like 25hp out of them. That would be so cool if i could just bolt these is. This way I get a little extra out of my head and cam low budget swap, and not spend a lot more $$.. I see a cheap pair of shorty headers for like $300 in the for sale section are these better than me doing nothing?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VetteVert
Thanks Ron. I was actually just searching to see if anyone has done what I asked. I just asked him how much fab it took to get them on. He got like 25hp out of them. That would be so cool if i could just bolt these is. This way I get a little extra out of my head and cam low budget swap, and not spend a lot more $$.. I see a cheap pair of shorty headers for like $300 in the for sale section are these better than me doing nothing?
Those look nice to me. I would go to the Bassani site to see if they fit. My guess is they bolt up to the stock eehaust.

If you lived in Oregon, I would give you my Magnaflow Xpipe setup for free.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Those look nice to me. I would go to the Bassani site to see if they fit. My guess is they bolt up to the stock eehaust.

If you lived in Oregon, I would give you my Magnaflow Xpipe setup for free.
Great idea, I will check thier site.. I should know better, I am a computer guy

Oh wow! That would be cool. Could I pay to ship it? And throw you some money for your troubles? I like managflow stuff. I use it on other cars..
Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Great idea, I will check thier site.. I should know better, I am a computer guy

Oh wow! That would be cool. Could I pay to ship it? And throw you some money for your troubles? I like managflow stuff. I use it on other cars..
Seems on their site they only have long tubes. I am going to try calling them see if they will help.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

John,

First off I wanted to thank you for all your help, it means alot. If you ever need any technology help. Let me know. I do it all.

With that said. If I am not doing a big cam because of my stock stall, and wanting to keep the Lowe end. Will doing the port work be beneficial? I know the milling will, just was wondering if it was overkill to get ported? Also alot of people are pushing me to do headers. I can't afford set of 1k or even $800 headers. But i see used ls6, ls7, even ls9 manifolds cheap. Would any of them bolt up without modification and be worth it? Unless someone is selling long tubes cheap?
The porting we do has shown to pick up flow all the way across the board. We try our best not to just hog out the runner for extra flow, we are looking to keep everything as efficient as possible. Our average horsepower pick up on the ported 243s is anywhere between 15-20rwhp.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
I would recommend you look into the 224R cam on a 114 LSA. This cam will work well with the stock converter and deliver a very broad powerband. It should have no problem keeping the low end power, if not creating more then you had before. You will at least need new head bolts and gaskets for the head swap. Stock stuff would work just fine for this kind of swap. We offer a full heads/cam bolt and gasket kit for $160 all GM replacement parts.
This x2.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
wish i could get a vette as a bonus lol congratz on the bonus, treat it well, its definitly better then any money bonus you could get... other then more then the value of that vette lol
I think the army should do somthing like that. instead of a monetary reenlistment bonus, id take a vette lol
definitly talk to our sponsors on here. they wont steer you wrong. most importantly, have fun with that car.

Thanks man. I wish the Army did this for you also. Anyone in the service deserves whatever they want. I respect and thank you for the sacrifices you make for me and my family, and country.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are interested in some c5 z06 exhaust manifolds let me know i have a set i need to get rid of to fund some custom headers...they should bolt right up seeing how your vette is a c5...let me know ill give you a good deal
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks man. I wish the Army did this for you also. Anyone in the service deserves whatever they want. I respect and thank you for the sacrifices you make for me and my family, and country.
and I thank you sir, for supporting us. it really nice to hear that from people from time to time and we deeply appriciate it. We dont expect it nor demand it. its a job and i will give my best for it.
i dont deserve a vette lol a simply thank you will suffice but if you got a spare ill take it LOL

definitly get that car hooked up and drive it like you stole it! i would my wife even is thinking about wanting a vette now
Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Teching In

I know I am driving everyone nuts, but I just want to make the right choices. My buddy might have a deal for me that I feel I should just do but wanted to ask your professional option. He offered me a Fuddle 3400 stall, and a Z06 3.42 rear for $800. My current rear is a 3.15. You feel it would be enough of a difference for a street car to do this? He said it’s a tight convertor and stalls to about 3k.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01VetteVert;16602158 But I have been very lucky to have been [B
given a 2001 corvette by my boss as a bonus[/B]. Its only has 21k on it.
Sorry for the useless post but it is clear to me now that i am in the wrong line of work.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:23 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know I am driving everyone nuts, but I just want to make the right choices. My buddy might have a deal for me that I feel I should just do but wanted to ask your professional option. He offered me a Fuddle 3400 stall, and a Z06 3.42 rear for $800. My current rear is a 3.15. You feel it would be enough of a difference for a street car to do this? He said it’s a tight convertor and stalls to about 3k.
I think the stall is a great call and the gears will definitely help. As far as how much of a difference it will make is kind of hard to tell. I personally think its worth it but I am also not the person doing the work. The motor will definitely feel more responsive with the 3.42 gear in it though.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts

im no professional but id defnitly go for it. $800 for both is a hell of a deal. i know i love my 3200 stall and im only on 2.73s. so with that combo you would most likly love it! and since your on the lighter vette chassis it would be that much better. alot of poeple will say go bigger with stalls, but for me 3200 is a good range for me on the street. hits hard on a roll and launchs very nice even with just 2.73. id image even a 3200 stall would move a vette alot better then a f-body. Go for it! thats a hell of a deal. thats a damn near perfect street stall/gear combo.

Quick Reply: Help with 243 Head install on c5