Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick!! oil pump removal help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default quick!! oil pump removal help!!

Hey, im in the middle of my cam install. yeah, the keys im typing on are getting nice and greasy. Trying to pull the oil pump so I can put my rollmaster on, i know you have to drop the oil pan, so i loosened the front 4 bolts on each side of it holding it to the block. They have #10 heads on them. Pan wont come down. What other bolts do i need to loosen? thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are more than 4 bolts on each side holding the pan on. You have to remove all the bolts. There should be 13 short bolts and 2 long bolts at the back of the pan.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, there are quite a few 10mm bolts holding the pan to the block. Some are kinda hard to get to since they're right above the K-member. You also have to unbolt the little black guard thing on the front of the tranny, and remove your oil filter to get to one of the 10mm bolts. There are two 15mm bolts you have to unbolt towards the back of the oil pan too. Yeah, it's a real PITA to do this, but the fun really begins when you're trying to put the oil pump back on and bolt on the pick up tube.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys. Yeah after I got pissed and came in the house and posted, I cooled off and went back into the garage. I took off the black plastic things that cover the flywheel and unbolted all the bolts in the back. Still wouldnt come off. Then I felt stupid when I saw the two biggest bolts holding it on.... the two bottom bellhousing bolts. Took them out, and WOW! the pan dropped. I just hope getting the pickup tube bolted up is as easy as unbolting it. Yeah right though.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a little thing I learned, if you have a pair of safety wire pliars, wrap the bolt with a piece of safety wire to hold it, then just put the bolt in the hole, turn it a few times and then back the safety wire off. Here's a pic. My wife did the swap, I took pictures. Oh, we took the bolt out this way also. Didn't drop the pan at all.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Glad to hear you got it out.

Jaywoo, your wife helps out with your installs? That's sexy as hell. My girlfriend does the same. Damn are they helpful when you're in a bind. Nice color SS too!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Teching In

im confusing myself.
what bolts get tightened to 9 ft lbs and which ones get 18 lbs?
thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 2 long skinny bolts get tightened to 9 ft-lbs. And the 10 bolts that hold the oil pan get tightened to 18 ft-lbs.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:52 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I always just loosen the bellhousing bolts, but leave the bolts in a few threads. The front of the oil pan will rest on the k-member, but will be at an easier angle to reach the pickup tube bolt. It helps keep the front of the pan angled down by itself...instead of having to pry it down.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Joseph,

My name is Jerron Bisbee. Do you have any idea when my valvetrain parts are going to ship? I talked to Brian last Wednesday and he told me that you guys got some Rollmasters in and that my order should ship by Friday. I called him again Friday and he said that the Rollmasters got in late and that my stuff would ship Monday the 5th. I called him today to see if it had made it out of there and he said that the Patriot spring packages were missing some locks? and that my order wouldnt ship out til later this week!! Please let me know. Thanks

Jerron
Old 04-07-2004, 01:08 AM

Jerron, I'm usually in the back of the shop doing installs, but I'll ask in the morning before work and see whats going on. I know some of the valve locks shipped to us came with only half of the quantity needed. The new Rollmaster Double rollers come with the "Jwis" chain now which is the desired chain for strength from what I hear.

How did you get the 228r on a 111lsa?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man I really appreciate it. You can just post up to this thread or email me at biz302@aol.com if you want when you find something out. I got this cam used from PlainWhiteZ28. If I didn't already have it sitting in the motor I would give you the numbers off the back. I know it says something like 3724R3724R on top and then below it says HR11+3 plus a few more numbers below that. PlainWhiteZ28 told me it was 111.5 + 3. I really didnt know EXACTLY what it was. I thought HR11+3 was 111+3.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:55 AM

Ahh, that camshaft has a history. That exact camshaft went 11.4 in a cam-only class about a year and a half ago at the first Thunder Shootout in Trevor's '02 SOM SS. Also there is someone not far from you in Duncan with the sister cam to that one. He lives in Duncan, you may see him around though. He goes by LS1ITLDO on the boards.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats pretty cool to know my cam has a good past. Im thinking about setting it up at 111+2 instead of +3 though. Let me know about my parts if you can. thanks

Jerron
Old 04-07-2004, 02:10 PM

Jerron,

Your parts are on the way The springs are coming from Patriot because we're out of stock until later this week.

Jason
Old 04-07-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jaywoo
Just a little thing I learned, if you have a pair of safety wire pliars, wrap the bolt with a piece of safety wire to hold it, then just put the bolt in the hole, turn it a few times and then back the safety wire off. Here's a pic. My wife did the swap, I took pictures. Oh, we took the bolt out this way also. Didn't drop the pan at all.
This is very interesting, can you show a pic of a sample bolt with the wire wrapped around it so we can get a better visual?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I stuffed a clean shop rag into the oil pan covering the entire width top to bottom. This is the shallow flat part of the pan and there is no danger of the rag falling into the deep part. When the screw falls, and it will, you can just pick it up. I also found out that it was easier to reinstall the oil pump over the fatter chain with the gears removed. Remove the 8 bolts on the front of the oil pump. Take off the cover and take out the planetary gearset(I left them together so I wouldn't get them backwards. I don't know if it matters). Put the pump on the crank and work it onto the oil pick up tube. Use new o-ring and have it on the pick-up tube first. Install bolt holding pickup tube. It will kind of self-align as you tighten it. Then put gears back it the way they came out (you'll have to wrestle with it a little bit since the pickup tube doesn't want to come forward of its own free will) and button it up. Install oil pump spacers (the one on the right (triangle) has to be in the correct orientation because it is not symmetric. If you don't it will cause oil pressure problems. I put a very small amount of RTV on that one as well to get a good seal on both sides, but I have heard you don't have to from others. Tighten to spec and you are guaranteed no pinched o-ring and good oil pressure with a good pump. Good luck and enjoy your new power.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck...

nice cam!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Jason, you guys are really good to do business with. Ill let ya know how it goes with the rest of this install. I think it's kinda neat that I have a cam that's been in one of your cars. I'll probably come see you guys when I get done and let you tune it. Thanks again.

Jerron
Old 04-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Launching!

All we did was back the bolt out a couple of threads with an open end wrench, then wrap mit with safety wire. The wire still lets you continue to turn it out, but won't let it drop into the pan once it's completly free of the threads. Installation was just as easy. Saved quite a bit of time by not dropping the pan. Takes a little patience, though.

Quick Reply: quick!! oil pump removal help!!