Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal Camshaft?

Old 04-10-2004, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Camshaft?

what is the biggest cam you can have that willl pass federal emissions?
i have read that it has a big impact on emissions

i want to be street legal....with the most possible track perfromance i can get thanks for the help

P.S. will it affect the sound of the exhaust
Old 04-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Check out this link as I just did this on my car. Hope this helps..

http://www.crossedflags.com/nuke/htm...ewtopic&t=9819
Old 04-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Launching!

FWiw..mostof my information came from ls1tech..and ls1.com

The best tech sites on the net!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

i kno heres a Z06 cam...for the LS6 motors....is it comaptible with our LS1 motors....will it fit ruight...whats the performance difference if it is? better/worse?
Old 04-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Actually its not a Z06 specific cam and with headers I'd take a guess that it would produce probably just 10 hp less in an ls1 motor..

I'd go with the dual crane springs or the dual patriot springs for a few dollars less if you like..

Its not a radical cam. I have it in my car a few weeks and its very much an everyday driver result. You could barely tell its in the car except for the new found power.

Of course it might be the expert ls1edit tuning George @ TTP did but I'd imagine a lot of tuners could pull this off for you.

The idles steady as I mentioned in that link at 800rpms..and it still hauls @ss with very close to 400rwhp..

I'm that pleased with the end results that I made mention of it on your thread.

Have a few laughs ..check out that thread link I posted above. I'm an old man at 45 years old this year and although I'm drag racing any more this car is a lot of fun.

Really a great compromise for civility , reliability and very strong performance.

I added the ASP pully and went with the full dual spring kit as well as the double roller timing chain for durability..

And according to TTP George the tuner..he said the springs were good to go for 25K miles of fun street driving and maybe change out the springs at 15,000 miles of drag racing at the track..

The 224/224 .563 114lsa cam is a nice step up from the ls6 cam but not so crazy that civility seems affected at all.

According to all reports on these ls1tech forums that I researched..the cam 224/224 114 lsa passes both the sniffer test and the pcm test with a decent ls1edit session.

I specifically didn't want to deal with issues passing NJ emissions testing no matter which test procedure was in place at the time I need to go back for testin..

To be honest..if I went to sell the car..I'd be surprised if the buyer even would notice the very slight..and mean very slight idle change through my stock titanium catbacks..even with headers..

To me thats a big plus in case the C6 Z06 pulls my chain and I have to get one..

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

JB

Search this Thread