Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windage Tray & Pick-up Tube

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Windage Tray & Pick-up Tube

I got yet another question for the experts. I am in the process of engine disassembly, on my LQ9. Question is aew all of the windage trays and the pick-up tubes the same on the LQ4's and the 5.7'S my LQ4 is out of a 02 Denali.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trucks engines have different pick up tubes than the ls1s. They are deeper for the deeper pan, vice versa. Youll need to get an ls1 windage tray as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck windage tray will work fine. Its the same bolt pattern as the ls1 tray but it's about 5 inches too long. I just measure mine off and cut it with a band saw at work and it dead on matches the ls1 tray. Reason I had to do this is my ls1 tray had some holes in it :-/
Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your doing a stroker you'll need to run spacers for the ls1 windage tray or buy a mast motorsports one that doesn't require spacers. Use the pickup tube that was used with the oil pan you are putting on it.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

When spacing the windage tray, it is also a good idea to measure distance between the pickup tube and the bottom of the pan, and clearance if necessary.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Also if you'd like additional support for the pickup tube. BRP makes a girdle that allows you to use both bolt holes on your oil pump.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Canada
Also if you'd like additional support for the pickup tube. BRP makes a girdle that allows you to use both bolt holes on your oil pump.
......and I feel this will solve a lot of oil "issues", not necessarily support. Just more of a sealing issue. Using one less bolt and not stamping a flange to accomodate the second bolt from the factory is most likely to cut cost in production but, it is the most assinign idea the "bean counters" from GM could recommend. Doing this Mod makes sense to me.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The pickup tube girdle is an excellent idea and definitely cheap insurance. However most issues we have seen from customers' "sealing issues" arise from improper o-ring installation, wrong o-ring, or a pinched o-ring rather than the flange not fitting/seating correctly on the pump.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Quick Reply: Windage Tray & Pick-up Tube