Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to find TDC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Default how to find TDC?

How do i find TDC i forgot to mark my harmonic balancer on the lip when i hadaligned the timing marks when i had my front cover off. I just wanna make sure im on the BC of the cam when im torquing my rockers. I have bank 1 cylinder head off so i can techinically see when im TDC but idk if its on the exhaust stroke or compression... i have my oil pan off if that would help.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:28 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

If you're torquing the rockers then you should have your pushrods in. With your pushrods in, you should be able to tell if they're on the base circle or on the lobe.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the engine installed the easiest/ most accurate way is to the piston stop method.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
If you're torquing the rockers then you should have your pushrods in. With your pushrods in, you should be able to tell if they're on the base circle or on the lobe.
^BINGO! Why do people get so caught up on where the piston is when trying to see if the lifter is on the base circle?

Just watch the pushrod travel and up and down in the engine while turning it over...when it falls down, and stays for a while, that's the base circle!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think cuz most people just like to do the tdc method so you only have to turn the motor over once.

Quick Reply: how to find TDC?