Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing some help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing some help please

Hey all sorry if this post should not be here but i didnt know where else to put it ok heres whats going on i have a 98 z28 ls1 6speed last night temps dropped to about 30-35 degrees at about 8 in the morning i went in the garage to crank up my z and once it started the rpm shot up then dropped to the point of almost stalling it was as if i had a Huge cam in it it kept doing that for about 20 seconds then the rpm shot up again i turned the car off and waited a minute and cranked her up again seemed to run fine i drove two blocks to my brothers house to pick him up and shifting was insane i felt like i could feel every little movment inside the trans when i shifted i wasnt shifting hard or anything well i sat at my brothers waited for the car to reach normal operating temo and checked trans all is good but still feels weird and also if i start driving and push down on the clutch to shift my rpm go up just a bit but its enough to notice not sure if this is normal i never had this happen and not sure what to do or not to do i have to take the z out of town in a week and really dont want to be stranded on the highway lol sorry for the run on sentence here thank you all in advance for any help
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Staging Lane

sounds like an idle air issue or something in that area...maybe a intake air temp sensor failing due to the cold. Just a few thoughts not great on the electrical side of a ls1
Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^either this, or, because of the cold, there is a gasket contraction or similar. I'd check the IAC grommet for looseness, vacuum lines, etc.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

While you're at it, check the intake bolts to make sure they are not loose.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 AM

Thank you all im going to give it all a check tomorrow and see what i cant come up with i will post an update as soon as i know thanks again

Quick Reply: Needing some help please