Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam selection help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No 2 cams are alike, but my cam is bigger than the HT and my heads are 59cc and I had no PTV issues. Search for Street Sweeper HT and PM the guys that run it and ask them how it went.

As always, it's best to measure. But from what I *remember* reading, there shouldn't be any issues.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Ed Curtis at FTI, Geoff at EPS, Allan Futral, or Martin @ Tick can spec you out one. Hell, Brian Tooley can spec you out one as well.

Martin uses the Comp LSL/LXL/HUC lobes with great success. Allan uses Cammotion lobes, Ed uses his proprietary stuff, and Geoff has his own lobes Comp grinds for him. All can provide profiles that should make great power and be pretty quiet/easy on the valvetrain if spec'd properly.

Something in the 226/230 range would probably be best. I'd also look at 11/32nd pushrods (as opposed to the standard 5/16), and some Brian Tooley Racing valvesprings.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Actually the xer lobes are harder on your valve springs than the lxl lobes.

High lift(above .600") doesn't necessarily mean aggressive, nor does low lift(below .600") necessarily mean the cam has mild lobes.
just curious, but are you saying the lobes are easier on the valvetrain because of lift numbers or because those lobes are outlasting the xer with regard to spring life..?

i know the numerical value measured in inches given to a valve's lift does not identify its acerbity. the fact it is opening the valve that far in such a short duration is what disturbs me. a lobe's harshness is now measured by what...the first and last 20? what's in between doesn't matter? i'm really not that old. just skeptical.

Quick Reply: Cam selection help?