Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quietest Lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Quietest Lifters?

For those who have experience with different lifters, which seem to be the quietest? I know there are MANY factors involved, but I'm hoping for some apples to apples results.

The reason I ask is because I am running a 0.561" lift cam with Tooley dual springs (thinking of going to a lighter beehive spring), LS7 lifters with ~30k miles, and 0.061-0.086 lifter preload. There is one LOUD lifter that's pissing me off, so I would like to replace all of the lifters.

I am leaning towards the Morel 5290 street lifters but they are damn pricey. Do the link bars add noise? Other options are the Comp ones or a new set of LS7's. I will never spin this motor past 6500 rpm and even that's a rarity.

Sorry for beating this to death
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go ls7 or comp equivalent...morels if you got the cash, but in my opinion a cam car is going to make noise no matter what...
Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run Morels and find them to be relatively quiet but in all honesty I agree with the above that the larger cam with headers will just make more noise. Add a FAST intake and then the fun (noise) really begins.

There are several advantages to the Morel over the LS7. They are designed to sit lower in the lifter bore to support the smaller aftermarket cam base circle. They use better materials and better bearings. Here's a biggy, they are fully rebuildable. I had mine rebuilts a few years ago after a bad cam damaged the rollers.

The LS7 lifter is made for GM by some other vendor (maybe Eaton) and I really wonder if they are up to some of the valve spring forces that are being used with some of the cams out there. They were likely spec'd for much lighter valve spring loads.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ls7 listers just make sure you get the upgraded lifter tray
Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I run Morels and find them to be relatively quiet but in all honesty I agree with the above that the larger cam with headers will just make more noise. Add a FAST intake and then the fun (noise) really begins.

There are several advantages to the Morel over the LS7. They are designed to sit lower in the lifter bore to support the smaller aftermarket cam base circle. They use better materials and better bearings. Here's a biggy, they are fully rebuildable. I had mine rebuilts a few years ago after a bad cam damaged the rollers.

The LS7 lifter is made for GM by some other vendor (maybe Eaton) and I really wonder if they are up to some of the valve spring forces that are being used with some of the cams out there. They were likely spec'd for much lighter valve spring loads.
This. Heavy valves (even stock LS1 valves are much heavier than LS7 or LS3 valves) and high spring pressures are not what the LS7 is designed to support. They bleed down pretty bad and make noise. It's just what it is.

Running milder lobes, lightweight valves/valvetrain, and lowered spring pressure all would help the LS7 lifters operate within optimal spec.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
This. Heavy valves (even stock LS1 valves are much heavier than LS7 or LS3 valves) and high spring pressures are not what the LS7 is designed to support. They bleed down pretty bad and make noise. It's just what it is.

Running milder lobes, lightweight valves/valvetrain, and lowered spring pressure all would help the LS7 lifters operate within optimal spec.
This makes sense. I installed mine. They are not terrible but difinatly louder than my stock lifters where. Although the lifter body looks to be a better design of the ls7.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah, the LS7 lifters are probably better. And they are the upgrade for all LSx motors now. So they will work in our cars fine. Just the more you optimize your setup for them the less noise they will make.

For example, going with an easy lobe like a HUC or LXL with beehive springs and stock valves would be better than aggressive LSK lobes with roller rockers and dual springs with a ton of seat and open pressure controlling heavy, big stainless valves.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Im useing stock valves in 241 heads. PSI1511 springs with stock retainers so its pretty light weight.stock rockers and a EPS cam. They are a little noisier than the orginal lifters.(both sets on the same eps cam). Nothing terrible though. I can live with it. I have heard a few sets that just make you give it the WTF look . Something was definatly off about those. Possibly preload.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah, I've thought about those PSI 1511 with a milder cam from Ai 226/234 .600/.600 113 or a little more agressive lobed version from Ai 228/236 .626/.626 114 with BTR Platinum springs.

I've asked Phil@Ai what the power difference is since I want to get a system matched package. Or, I might just go with an EPS 226/234 since that thing is beast.

Planning to use LS7 lifters and don't want a sewing machine even if preload is dead nuts.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Yep. If i was goin to buy another cam i would go 226-234. I have heard alot of people braging up those setups. Not that i dislike my 226-230. As of right now i havent installed my monster clutch. Ive got more power than the stock clutch and stock suspension can handle. Its rough to get a good launch at the track when the rear is hoping and the clutch bites the dust when i go for second. One day when the moneys i right i may send my heads to AI and do up one of the packages. As for the PSI 1511 springs. I put 11k on them with the eps cam and had the heads reworked when i changed lifters and the springs checked out perfectly fine. The machine shop said they were all right where they needed to be.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That's good to know.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS7 lifters are a factory lifter designed for a stock build. yea its ok to run them with a milder cam and not as HD springs but ive read a lot about failures and im sure a lot of us including me have seen failures. yea you can turn 7k on those lifters but isnt that just interwebs hersay? in my eyes id just wait, buy the morels or lunatis street style lifter and not have to worry about a lifter going bum.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about the lunati link bars?

Quick Reply: Quietest Lifters?