Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure question

Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure question

Iv got a turbo 383 stroker with an ls6 oil pump I just got rapped up last week. When I go to start the car up it will be at 60+psi. After driving the car and letting it get up to temp (215 degrees) it will idle above the 25 psi mark at idle same thing after letting it sit for 1-2 hrs it will be high at start and lower as it gets warmer. The car has an oil cooler on it just to help keep the oil temps down. My question is is it normal to see that low psi(25) at idle considering all of the extra heat under the hood due to the turbo being there. My other question is, what can I do to keep the heat temp down under the hood? I think the drop in psi is due to the oil thinning out due to the heat, but I just want to double check
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 or 7lbs required to float crank at idle, so you're safe.

That being said, last time mine went into the 20s psi, I was almost 2 quarts low on oil.

Im assuming you've checked that? Some on here would say 25psi is normal....but I have 2 ls1s and they always stay above 30, usually closer to 40psi
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreww
6 or 7lbs required to float crank at idle, so you're safe.

That being said, last time mine went into the 20s psi, I was almost 2 quarts low on oil.

Im assuming you've checked that? Some on here would say 25psi is normal....but I have 2 ls1s and they always stay above 30, usually closer to 40psi
My shop that tuned my car said the same thing for the 25 psi is normal.. The oil is full and when it was n/a it was at 30 ish at idle... Could that extra heat from the turbo cause this due to it thinning out the oil more?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to know myself. If it makes you feel any better I have an old high mileage built 383 in my C3 daily driver. the oil pressure drops as low as 13psi at really hot idle on a hot day. I keep waiting for it to die so i can build something more fun but nope, its been at 13psi hot idle for 2 years and i drive it daily like i stole it. I think your 25psi with all your extra heat/ turbo would be considered normal. Im gonna shut up and wait for someone who knows the deal to chime in
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the stock spring in the oil pump or did you shim it at all? A little extra pressure might help it pull the oil through the cooler and turbo feed and give better pressure, but 25lbs ain't that bad and as long as its climbing with rpm you're good granted there aren't any "issues"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pressure question