Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting to get a little aggravated.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting to get a little aggravated.

Ok so I have to admit that my 2000 SS Camaro is starting to grind my gears. I'm trying to get the intake off along with the heads so i can get ready for my new heads cam and lifters. Problem is that i am having hell getting all of my injector harness and top end wiring off especially under the wiper cowl. Does anyone have any advice on getting this done easier?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy. . . you ain't even close to the annoyance the old F-body/LS1 has in store for you. I just take a screwdriver and twist those clamps that hold the harness to the rail to pop them open.

When you get to taking the bolts out, take some vinyly tubing and cut it just under an inch long. Slit it lengthwise and then use a piece under each bolt (for the ones under the cowl) to hold them up and out of the way when you slide the intake forward.

BEWARE the OPSU which is sticking straight up on the drivers side in the rear of the valley. Your brake booster hose can break it as you pull forward. Everyone breaks the OPSU. . .well, I didn't, but I read it on LS1tech.

If you have a shitty scissor style fuel line disconnector thingy you need to grind it shorter to get the fuel line to release from the rail. Otherwise it wont go in.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop the motor out from underneath and make life easy.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by td1168
Drop the motor out from underneath and make life easy.
Lol for a head cam swap?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke my oil pressure sending unit, you probably will too. Also I had to literally rip my rail off the injectors and yank the injectors out. Putting the fuel stuff back in was awful too. The long bolts under the cowl just suck. Top of your hands will be cut up. No real good advice other than to just do it.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yep. Just gotta do it. The first time i did it it seemed like it took hours to figure it out. Dont forget to reach around the back and unplug the map sensor and small vaccum line. The second time i think i got it off in less than 1 hour. Once the intake is off their a good bit of room to work after that. It helps to have a 1/4 ratchet set with shallow and deep sockets for the intake.

Quick Reply: starting to get a little aggravated.