Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streetsweeper HT to Streetsweeper??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember though, cam only often means compromise to the cr/dcr. Doing heads and getting a smaller chamber will help a cam as big as the SS a good bit. Would assume you would do 3.73/3.90 and that gearing would help too.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I had the SS in my car, same intake setup and headers, put down 405 rwhp. I like the cam but with stock 3.42 rear it didnt go well together. Any rpm under 1800 it would buck. I couldn't really use 6th gear unless I was going like 80 mph. It was pretty hard to go 5mph in parking lot. Car ran like a raped ape though.

Now compared to my new setup which has a smaller cam and stock ported heads, its like night and day. Car drives like stock, you can lug it, go 5mph and has more power !! My car now on cold roads will lights the tires up at 70 mph in 2nd gear. 55 mph rolling into the throttle its lights them up with ease.

If I were you go the SS HT or go a custom cam by AI.

Any other questions on the SS, let me know.
You shouldn't be running the SS with stock gears, thats never ment to be ran with them so you can't say thats a neg. I ran the SS with supporting mods, with my stock heads still ran 10.60s 3 years apart, best MPH was 129, Car put down about 425-430whp. Lots of tq 395.
if your not going to run the supporting mods for a cam Like the SS you should run something smaller, ed can do that for you too. He did another cam for me that put down 450whp, better then the SS, made more power then other big 230's 240s, 250 .600+ lift cams I tested too. I posted all about this and some car with the SSHT with some good info, dynos ect if you look them up. There alot of good cams out there, ed stuff works.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Did I mention Pat G, Predator Z, or EPS? You gave your opinion, I gave mine. I know theres some of you guys that think Ed is God, which is fine. His track record on LS1GTO speaks for itself. Im also aware that Ed has worked with AI. I dont think Phil at AI is ever mentioned on here for his cam godliness. For the price of AI's pacakges I dont think it can be beat. I know Ed's lobes are made of gold but I dont see the SSHT making all that much more power than Phils 228/232 which would most likely be less aggressive and I know would be softer on the old wallet.
Predator Z recommended this cam for me and my Z06 because of what I wanting out of the car. I dont see near the nut hugging for Ed Curtis as I do alot of other people tho.

But Id also strongly consider looking at the A.I. cams especially since they are doing the heads. Cant beat the package deal.

Quick Reply: Streetsweeper HT to Streetsweeper??