Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Machining Prices, reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Machining Prices, reasonable?

I called a machine shop relatively close to me that's known to do good work. I asked for ball park prices on a couple things so that I can shop around a bit, but figured I'd post em here to see if they're reasonable or not.

Deck plate cylinder hone ~ $325
Line hone on mains ~$325
Rotating assembly balance ~$250
Head work (milling / valve jobs) ~ $300

I understood this would be expensive from the get go and am willing to pay the extra amount for quality workmanship because I want this build to last - just wanted to check with those that have been through this whether or not these prices are reasonable.

Thanks for any input
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds about right. I paid 1200 for everything you listed except head work, but that included rod bearings, cam bearings and installing the cam bearings.

Also included setting all the clearances on the rods, mains and piston rings.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems a little pricey
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

here's their site: http://www.dlkautoparts.com/

was recommended to me from a mechanic acquaintance of mine that knows his stuff. unfortunately most other places in my general vicinity have gotten pretty mixed reviews
Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at HKE in summer 2011 I paid the following:

$175 for the mains line hone
$150 for setting the deck - which they screwed up badly, machined one deck 0.007" more than the other...
$300 to bore and hone cylinders with TQ plate from 3.878" to 3.903" - which is a LOT of material to remove, way more than just a hone as in your case.

Basically, your prices seem very high compared to Texas prices.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

^^ those prices seem to be more in line with what I was hoping for

looks like I'll be shopping around a bit as I wait for the rest of my parts to come in. got two more shops lined up that I'm going to call. I'll share my findings with you guys so anyone new to it can get a feel for what it costs.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The old saying "you get what you pay for" He paid less and got subpar work. A shop with a good reputation is worth more. What difference will a few hundred dollars make in the long run, compared to peace of mind, lol? On top of that, pay attention to what equipment is being used, Usually the higher priced shops have newer equipment that holds better tolerences. But what it really boils down to is the machinist. A poor one can mess up using the latest equipment. A good one could almost give you a perfect job using a hammer, chisel, and file, lol. And it is worth it to pay him more.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cant price work across the USA the prices will change alot.
When i tig welded in cages a job in NJ would be 1000 in AL same job would be 700 In Cali same job would be 1200-1500 reason. cost of filler/power/tubing/ shipping would cost more then in NJ then AL. The cost of stuff in cali with all the taxes and shipping plus as bottle fills was crazy high. i made the same money in my pocket in every state

also tooling before i bought a CNC i could make nice parts after i had a CNC my prices went up to cover my CNC cost but the same part is made a little nicer now. but will still take a long time to recover my cost
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Banned

Call around, good machine shops are NOt cheap and are swamped with work. If I call a machine shop and they tell me they can do the work right away I move on. Good Machine shops are backed up at least a week or more.

I actually just called a shop to get a price on turning a crank and asked about resizing the rods. They said we don't resize rods! Oh yeah gonna let a place turn my crank that doesn't touch rods!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Launching!

bore/ hone w/ torque plate $269.10
deck block w/ square plate $144.90
clean block $76
line bore mains $207

these prices do not include 6% sales tax.
What I pay here in Carlisle area with a reputable shop I trust
Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Line hone block 200.00
CNC bore/hone w torque plate 250.00
Balance v-8 assembly race 450.00
Final wash block 68.00
Square block deck 250.00

Im from MA but the shop is in CT. They were the highest quoted prices that I got. They did a friends 5.4 mod motor and has been great. Id rather pay some extra to get a motor that will last
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The cylinder hone seems high.
line hone mains seems really high.
Rotating balance seems high even unless he thinks there is a possibility for some heavy metal
Head work doesn't seem too far off depending on how much work he is doing to them.

Do those costs include block cleaning or other fees. I would imagine he would want to clean the block before setting up to hone either the bore or mains. Or might be quoting high to save himself until he really sees what he would be working on. Or maybe I haven't had any work done in a couple years and prices have gone up!

I don't know anything about DLK but I think they carry a good reputation. Jake Savini in McKeesport is good. I use a small shop out of Latrobe.

Don't pick a shop based on price alone.

Go on to unitedgearheads.com and ask those guys for other recommendations.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Corley
The old saying "you get what you pay for" He paid less and got subpar work. A shop with a good reputation is worth more.
agreed, that's why I went to HKE...
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

There is an amazing machine shop here in Greenville, TX. They are small, but well known to the area and are great people to work with (they love their jobs). It's called Machine Works. I have used them for YEARS and NOT ONCE had an issue. I can literally walk in, ask if they have so and so part, take said part and pay them when i hAve the $ on me. I'd suggest looking them up. It may be worth the freight. Just puttin in my .02
Old 01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya, NE prices are little more then, the TX and midwest FYI. And what parts you have and what you want to do with them can add 2-3X more then a stock part rebuild for machine time labor. 3.6 or 4.X crank? what rods, ect. extra prep?

poor machine work cost a LOT more in the long run

plate hone sounds high, but not if its a skilled guy they gets it money, its worth it. Might not do alot of LS stuff but if you do and have the plate and hardware setup you can do a freashen hone fast. If its a new 6L or LSx block it take some machine time to get it to size, that adds up. Same for block prep, if you give them a dirty, sharp, mess.

hone mains is really high, probably subs it out. +100 for fuel, travel ect.

balance is about right, but could be a lot more depending on your stuff. Some setups take a lot longer 6-8+hrs

VJ could be 200-300 looks like a normal serdi, can get that done quick just re cutting them, with any muti cutter. No blending, or thoart cutter, or touching the guilds. What about the the valves??? milled a set min 75-90$, more to cut more, and intake cutting 30-50$. its all just a est. So depends alot more on what you really need done.

Quick Reply: Engine Machining Prices, reasonable?