Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston slap teardown

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw them on Ebay, i will check them out thanks. But i guess i have to wait till the machine shop tells me the final bore numbers. I cant wait till my tax refund gets here!!!! I'm gonna make some power!!! With some help with ALL of u guys. THANKS. maybe i can go to the LSX SHOOTOUT this year, with my first LS engine car. Woo hoo!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Banned

Post up some pictures, I'd love to see the piston that was knocking that bad that it sounded like a rod bearing. I just bought a 01 ws6 with 38k that has what I think is piston noise, at 1st I thought rod bearing but like you said its a little different noise and its quieter the hotter the engine gets. Engine runs very strong but the noise at idle is a little unnerving.

By the way these cam bearings are probably ok, they are copper like that from the factory. I'd measure them before fussing over them.

Last edited by TransAmBlue; 01-27-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would like to post pics but dont know how...sorry. The Ebay pistons posted look like a great deal! But i see they are offered in STD, .020 , and .030 overbore. If these motors can only go to 3.908 wouldn't that be a .10 overbore?? Hey Blue didn't u have a thread recently about noise? U were going to take it to the Dealer to check it out right? How did that turn out? Sorry i missed the last couple entries u made. Been sick with the FLU like the rest of the country...THANKS. Marc
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Banned

Yeah I solved my noise, It was a slight amount of air getting into the oil. This made the engine very noisy at times and was causing the lifters at the very frt of the engine tap and knock. I changed the oil to Pennzoil high mileage which swelled the oring at the oil pump....no more noise! Engine still has piston noise warming up, but is quiet now once its warmed up.

Quick Reply: Piston slap teardown