Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed AI and they said that I have to seal the intake rockers so oil doesnt go into the intake. I believe I may also have blowby so I may eliminate my pcv. Im not ready for a rebuild as the car runs great, just looses some oil, which I have no problem keeping full. I believe this is where most of my oil is going.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I emailed AI and they said that I have to seal the intake rockers so oil doesnt go into the intake. I believe I may also have blowby so I may eliminate my pcv. Im not ready for a rebuild as the car runs great, just looses some oil, which I have no problem keeping full. I believe this is where most of my oil is going.
Yeah, I understand. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the pistons having enough vacuum to pull 30wt oil through the bolt threads with less than a 0.2mm (roughly) of clearance. But, it's better to be safe than sorry. I guess I'll pull my valve covers off and put some sealant on the bolts next time I check the torque.

I would definitely pull your intake, if anything you're pretty far along and what's another hour or two....

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im hoping this is what it is. I guess i could try pouring oil on the rocker bolt base and see if it leaks thru, if it does, then this is definetly my problem.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You'd be surprised how much oil you can burn through those rocker holes. My AFR heads were the same way, and I made DAMN SURE to coat the threads in ARP sealant before I installed them.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dr Whigham, what were your symptoms on your car with the oil leaking into the intake port? Did you see any oil leaking outside the engine?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I never had symptoms, that's what I'm saying. I've came across threads in the past of folks having the same issue and it was the rocker bolts protruding into the intake runners... They forgot to seal them.

I sealed mine from day one so I haven't had an issue. It's no big deal really. Pull the intake and clean it thoroughly, and undo the valve covers and remove the rockers. Preload won't change. Clean up the bolts and the holes, apply the RTV (ultra black) or ARP sealant and retorque them all to 22 ftlbs.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

So i need to pull the intake, i cant just spray cleaner in the hole and put the sealant on the threads?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 PM
The Scammer Hammer

You can. I just figured you'd want to clean the intake out.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah removing the intake would be a good idea. Then you can see how much oil is really getting pulled through the intake and into the heads, Plus it'll be easier to clean it up then. If you don't plan on removing the intake then at least remove the TB and spray down the inside of the intake really good with some carb cleaner.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill remove it and see how much oil is going in there. I just got the tranny put back in, man i need new headers, lpp collectors leak alot, they are really loose where the pipe fits on.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got done pulling the intake and sealing the rocker studs. I was suprised to see pretty clean intake ports on the heads. The intake ports on the intake manifold were black where they attach to the head. The intake on the inside looking into the throttle body was pretty darn clean, must mean the catch can is working, either that or its all getting sucked into the head.

So Im gonna let it dry till saturday then take it for a rip and see if I can see any uv dye coming out anywhere.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 AM
Launching!

I just got done pulling the intake and sealing the rocker studs. I was suprised to see pretty clean intake ports on the heads. The intake ports on the intake manifold were black where they attach to the head. The intake on the inside looking into the throttle body was pretty darn clean, must mean the catch can is working, either that or its all getting sucked into the head.

So Im gonna let it dry till saturday then take it for a rip and see if I can see any uv dye coming out anywhere.
Mind taking some pictures of the intake port of the head and posting them?

Was there any oil on the bolts?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I should have taken pics but its all back together again already. There was oil on the bolts, but not much. I would have thought the intake port would be black, it had a coating of oil but not much. its before the combustion probess so it probably gets sucks thru the valve and then burnt.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Launching!

I should have taken pics but its all back together again already. There was oil on the bolts, but not much. I would have thought the intake port would be black, it had a coating of oil but not much. its before the combustion probess so it probably gets sucks thru the valve and then burnt.
Hmmm. Was the oil on the bolts on the top of the bolt or bottom?

Where was the oil on the intake ports? Top of the runner, mid, bottom?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oil was on top of the bolts, inside the head, these are allen wrench head. There really was much on the threads.

Head intake ports - light coating of oil, no oil sitting on valves
Intake ports on intake manifold, looking from bottom of intake - Black around around

Plugs- Caked with burned oil. Never seen this before in a 4 stroke.

Im wondering if its the valve cover gasket, I should know more tomorrow after a drive.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So after some research, I see that when I was putting my rocker bolts on I was supposed to put sealant on them. So the oil is draining into the intake port, this could explain my oily plugs and oil consumption.

Would this caues it to come out the exhaust manifold? I still have to drive the car and see where its coming from but it appears to be exhaust manifold.
Originally Posted by Tainted
yup that will do it. lil bit of loctite
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Get the white thread sealant, not thread locker.
I use Permatex high temperature thread sealant, it comes in a small white tube..

Sorry I don't mean to thread jack but this has something to do with a problem I've got.

Am I reading the above post correctly - you need to use loctite on the bolts for the rockers? I haven't seen this anywhere.

If this is correct, damn it I need to go back and redo this...

Last edited by smws6ta; 01-18-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used permatex thread sealant, no loctite. I check the torque on the rocker after 8000 miles, still torque to 22 ft lbs
Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Permatex thread sealant, ARP thread sealent, BLUE loctite, or even as Tooley likes to use, RTV Ultra Black. Whichever you prefer. I used the ARP
Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

I have the same problem too.. about 1 qt every 1000 miles and an obvious oil leak. I just can't pinpoint where its coming from. I was thinking maybe OPSU or valley cover gasket but I might try this soon although this is the first time I've ever heard of using sealant on the rocker bolts.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 AM
The Scammer Hammer

av8er, if you're just a bolt on car it isn't something you should have to worry about. This is for the guys running *certain* ported or aftermarket heads where the intake runners have been ported out to the point of exposing the once blind hole of the rocker arm studs.

Yous sounds like an external leak of a different sort. Think OPSU or even rear main seal.

Quick Reply: Major oil leak!