Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Con Rod options

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Con Rod options

What Rods are available for the LS1 using the original 0.944 pin size ??

And more importantly, are they necessary. Its some time away, but I will be building a twin turbo motor, and hoping for around 750-800bhp. I dont intend using over 7000rpm ever, probably more likely a 6500rpm max.

Would the stock rods be ok ?? Ive owned and built a few turbo motors in various cars before over the years, and always used standard rods with no problems, despite more than doubling power ouputs. ( smaller engines though )

Would using a SBC Rod ( 0.927 pin ), and machining the small end out to suit my pin dia be fine ??

Id like to know soon, as I will be assembling the short motor in teh next few weeks. I am tied to using the stock pin size, as I already have the pistons I intend to use.

If using the stock rod is an option, then is there a front side to the rod ?? I see no markings, although they are not symetrical.
I have also already purchased ARP rod bolts for the stock rods.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What Rods are available for the LS1 using the original 0.944 pin size ??

And more importantly, are they necessary. Its some time away, but I will be building a twin turbo motor, and hoping for around 750-800bhp. I dont intend using over 7000rpm ever, probably more likely a 6500rpm max.

Would the stock rods be ok ?? Ive owned and built a few turbo motors in various cars before over the years, and always used standard rods with no problems, despite more than doubling power ouputs. ( smaller engines though )

Would using a SBC Rod ( 0.927 pin ), and machining the small end out to suit my pin dia be fine ??

Id like to know soon, as I will be assembling the short motor in teh next few weeks. I am tied to using the stock pin size, as I already have the pistons I intend to use.

If using the stock rod is an option, then is there a front side to the rod ?? I see no markings, although they are not symetrical.
I have also already purchased ARP rod bolts for the stock rods.
HTC and Carrillo make rods that will use the stock pin. I would not use the stock rods at that level, and SBC's are a bad idea; they're offset.
On the stock rods, the side with a bevel (on the big end bearing hole), always goes toward the counterweight. That bevel is meant to allow for the fillet on the crank where it turns up towards the counterweight.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

HTC ?? Who are they ??
Old 04-17-2004, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, found out who HTC are....

What about Lunati ?? do they make some. I have seen some advertised for an LS1
The Pro-Billet super light version ???

Or I have seen Oliver rods mentioned a few times.
They do state LS1, but a few also says 0.927 pin.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most aftermarket pistons for the ls-1 are using a .927 pin. the lunati pro billet superlight is a very nice rod i would recommend it for higher hp. engines.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

So, as Scott says the SBC items are an offset rod, stay clear of them.

If a rod is advertised as an LS1 rod, then it should be fine apart from the pin diameter.
Does anyone see why it would be a problem regarding rod strength or otherwise buying the Lunati rod, and boring/honing out the small end to suit the larger pin size. I will be using an interference fit with the rod-pin anyway, so no bushing will be required.

Would these rods already have a bush installed at 0.927"?? If so, what would the OD of this bush be ??

Sorry for so many questions, but I am from the UK, so information about these matters is not available locally, and I dont want to buy something that turns out useless.
I do like the look of the Lunati rods.

Thanks, Stevie