Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A totally different oil consumption question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A totally different oil consumption question.

I have been reading, searching, and using these forums for a while. I am a recent member and first time poster though. First off I have searched and I have read any oil consumption threads I could find. So the car is a 2001 SS M6 it is a stock block as far as I can tell, it has LS6 heads (supposedly stage 3) and he said he wasn't sure on cam but the closest numbers to it he could find were trex, LSXR102 intake, LTs and ORY, he still hasn't found paperwork. that's a whole nother story. the problem now is, I took it to SNL to get a new stage 3 clutch put in, they also did rear main seal and replaced the oil pan that was apparently cracked and leaking all over the place, and they would warranty clutch with it leaking. then after putting the car back together the clutch still didn't work so they replaced the master cylinder. I got the car back and it is running like ****, but that aside I am really worrying about the oil consumption. I picked the car up Saturday around 2pm and drove it 11 miles or so home. The clutch acted fine and most everything was good, except my throttle was sticking, wanting to pull the car at anything below 2000 rpms. sometimes if I blipped the throttle the rpms would fall back down, but usually I would have to wait till the car came to a complete stop for it to idle down. I am pretty sure this is just a tuning issue which will be fixed when I have it retuned.

So on to the actual oil consumption. after driving it very little in just 3 days(only used about 1/2 a tank) my oil light comes on. The car is bone dry!? Could it burn 5 quarts that fast? Only time I have noticed smoke is when I really get on it hard it will make a good size cloud then clear out. smoke looks pretty grey. Sorry for the long story.

Anyone have any clues? I leaning towards bad rings at the moment. Which sucks, I wasn't looking to rebuild this bottom end yet. I was really trying to hold out and build an LS2 or Iron block 408 to replace the tired LS1

Last edited by LowestIntentions; 02-12-2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Typos and more info
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No ideas? The shop didn't have any either, they said "are you sure it wasn't on there? we use mobil1" So I went and rechecked, after 2 quarts of oil it is showing at the add level on the dipstick. How any quarts does it take to get to the add level from empty?

Quick Reply: A totally different oil consumption question.