Sponsored by:

LQ9 on C5 help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LQ9 on C5 help please

Cheapest build route LQ9 block ??

What vehicles exactly came with the lq9 and is their a difference between a lq9 and lq4 still confused

UPDATE: ok so what transfers from the ls1 to the 6.0 ? I mean like cam, heads, accessory pullies, ls6 intake, fuel rails all the coonections from the pcm, tranny, torque tube ect ect ??????

What do yo guys think? Not sure what LQ9's are the best but seems the best route since you can transfer most of the stuff from an ls1 to it?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

LQ9 is just a higher compression version of the LQ4. LQ9 has flat top pistons and LQ4 has dished. Now if you are rebuilding block then you probably would prefer to put in forged pistons so either will work equally and since LQ4s are cheaper you see what I mean.
Peripheral equipment will fit with no issues if crank snot is the same as LS1. Some people drill and tap the block for the 3rd alternator bolt but I ran my 370 with only 2 bolts and never an issue.
Now a LQ9/LQ4 block is about 90lbs heavier than an aluminum LS1 block. That is a lot in a C5 and personally I wouldn't put an iron 6.0 in a C5 for that reason. It will mess up the weight distribution of the Vette. But that is me, physically it is an easy swap, but the Vette being more of a cornering machine than a F-body, I would keep an aluminum block in.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah thats what they told me but if you relocate the battery and i guess doing some really minir work meaybe a future rear mount turbowould probably eliminate that issue i would think, so everything swaps over?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump......

Quick Reply: LQ9 on C5 help please