Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sd tune or not sd tune.. pros and cons of both

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sd tune or not sd tune.. pros and cons of both

been looking and reading alot about a sd tune. wondering how much of a difference it would make, if its safe or not, what concerns i need to look out for. ect. looking for anyone thats done a sd tune. to tell of what they liked and what not
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonna be a 50/50 split just like square vs cathedral

SD tune eliminates MAF, and if pushing big power thats obviously one less restriction. Also some say the sd tune gives much better response especially in the low areas.

Personally im sticking with a maf
Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why u sticking with ur maf? is it safer or something? and whats the dangers in a sd tune? im only running 459 at wheels. but still changing out the intake, tb, inectors and maf..
Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Every proper tune has a fully calibrated VE table to go with the MAF table. The reason some cars get a throttle response improvement from an SD tune is because the VE table wasn't set up properly to begin with. A correctly calibrated MAF tune will have good throttle response too as the PCM uses a blend of the VE table (SD) and the maf table below 4000 rpms.

SD only tunes will give accurate fueling only if your IAT sensor is reading the correct temperature that is actually going into your engine. If you sit there idling at a light too long, or stop to go into a store for 10-15 mins, your fueling will be way lean until the car is moving on the highway and cooling the sensor back down. In the summer, it could take a long time for that sensor to come back down. Yes, your 02 sensors will compensate, but not at WOT when you enter PE.

If you like to drag race, think about how long you sometimes have to sit idling in the staging lanes. That IAT sensor is getting HOT as you idle there, which means you will be leaving the line LEAN. Even with a fast acting IAT sensor, it will take a while to read the correct temperature entering the engine.

I was at 460 rwhp and I picked up zero horsepower removing my 85mm c5z maf. Only go SD if your maf is a known restriction or you have maxed out the airflow.

Quick Reply: sd tune or not sd tune.. pros and cons of both