Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using SBC Rods in ls1, chamfer faces crank fillet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004 | 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Default Using SBC Rods in ls1, chamfer faces crank fillet?

There has beed discussion on here about which way to run the rod chamfer to get the piston most correctly centered. Should I go ahead and just run rods the SBC with camfers out towards the crank fillets (or lack thereof in an ls1)? I know Country Boy ran his with one rod camfer facing the opposite direction to get the piston centered.
Old 04-20-2004 | 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Also, I dont have the block here with me so, will the chamfered side of the rod be on the intake or exhaust valve side of the piston?
Old 04-20-2004 | 05:26 PM

If youre using the stock LS1 crank, then there is no fillets on the crank. They are actually undercuts so it wouldnt matter which way the rod was facing, but in a SBC motor or with a crank that has fillets, the chamfers face oppisite each other (the chamfer faces the crank throw) and the flat sides butt each other in the center. Just with a SBC offset rod, it will sideload the wrist pin and thats why I had mine in backwards from the traditional way because it made the rod more centered (and I keep getting called stupid for that... LOL)

Quick Reply: Using SBC Rods in ls1, chamfer faces crank fillet?