Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/LQ9 Checklist!! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4/LQ9 Checklist!! Please Help!

Ive been searching and searching for an LQ4 and LQ9 engine complete takeout with all accessories/computer/harness for my 2nd generation transam. I use car-part.com and some others. I am finding most good deals are on the engine only WITHOUT the computer and accessories (alternator, power steering, etc.)

I am new to the EFI world and am still confused after searching threads on what to MAKE sure I get if I buy the engine ALONE w/o accessories. Ive been told its NOT hard to find a computer to match up with another engine and it only cost about $60-$80. (is this true??)

Is there anyone that can maybe help me out with a checklist. I already know intake and oil pan isnt an issue because I will be replacing them regardless.

Here is what Little I have: (please add and/or edit!!)

LQ4/LQ9 Long block- $800-$1000 (junkyard)

computer to match the engine - $60-$80 (junkyard)

Alternator $75 (junkyard)

power steering pump $50 (junkyard)

water pump $50 (junkyard)

F-Body oil pan $200 (ebay)

Stand alone harness $500 (ebay or sponsor here)

I know I am missing alot so help would be appreciated. It may be worth it too just wait and wait for a complete liftout engine, but just looking at it this way first. THANKS in advance!!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay away from the 2000-2001 (I think) lq4, it has a longer crank hub on the back of it that might give you problems finding the correct tranny for it.

Pcms for less sells most of the computers for our cars for around $99

Go to lt1swap.com and they have lots of pinouts and step by step to go through a stock harness to cut it fown to a good standalone unit (I used their guides to do mine).

Hope I helped!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit80
Ive been searching and searching for an LQ4 and LQ9 engine complete takeout with all accessories/computer/harness for my 2nd generation transam. I use car-part.com and some others. I am finding most good deals are on the engine only WITHOUT the computer and accessories (alternator, power steering, etc.)

I am new to the EFI world and am still confused after searching threads on what to MAKE sure I get if I buy the engine ALONE w/o accessories. Ive been told its NOT hard to find a computer to match up with another engine and it only cost about $60-$80. (is this true??)

Is there anyone that can maybe help me out with a checklist. I already know intake and oil pan isnt an issue because I will be replacing them regardless.

Here is what Little I have: (please add and/or edit!!)

LQ4/LQ9 Long block- $800-$1000 (junkyard)

computer to match the engine - $60-$80 (junkyard)

Alternator $75 (junkyard)

power steering pump $50 (junkyard)

water pump $50 (junkyard)

F-Body oil pan $200 (ebay)

Stand alone harness $500 (ebay or sponsor here)

I know I am missing alot so help would be appreciated. It may be worth it too just wait and wait for a complete liftout engine, but just looking at it this way first. THANKS in advance!!
Depending on how stripped your long block is, you may also need the balancer, tensioner for your water pump, alt/ps bracket, idler pulley, sensors (if they pulled them), and a pedal to match up to your ecu.

I bought a complete dropout with everything (brackets, accessories, harness, pedal, intake, oilpan, etc.), but will end up replacing just about everything. I thought I would be happy just dropping the LQ9 in as it sat, but that isn't going to happen. I'm even doing H/C/I while it's still out of the engine bay.

Keep an eye on the classified section. A lot of people list stuff there, and I'll probably be listing just about everything from mine in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark21742
Stay away from the 2000-2001 (I think) lq4, it has a longer crank hub on the back of it that might give you problems finding the correct tranny for it.
Also, the first two years had iron heads. No real performance difference, but you'll save a chunk of weight with the aluminum 317's.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks guys. When you add all of this $$ up, I might as well go a crate engine route, because I know if I get the lq4 I will go with the l92 heads/ls3 intake/cam. Discouraging...
Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

I'm kind of in the same boat I've been searching for a couple months for a lq4/lq9 but the budget just isn't there. I'm probably just going to go with a 5.3 and the money I save will buy me a new tranny
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
I'm kind of in the same boat I've been searching for a couple months for a lq4/lq9 but the budget just isn't there. I'm probably just going to go with a 5.3 and the money I save will buy me a new tranny
I hear ya on the 5.3. I have looked into that also. I just have this "450" hp goal in my head for some reason and can't shake it haha.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bandit80
I hear ya on the 5.3. I have looked into that also. I just have this "450" hp goal in my head for some reason and can't shake it haha.
Haha Yeh I'm the same way but my wallet said reality check bitch!

Quick Reply: LQ4/LQ9 Checklist!! Please Help!