Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam & Head Combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam & Head Combo

Ive been looking and researching all day, and ive found a few parts i like, but im new to this and after reading basically the biginners guide, and now im wondering how well the parts would work together. The parts in question are the AFR 230cc LSX Mongoose heads, part #1660, and the comp cams XFI RPM cam and lifter kit, part #K54-428-11

i just want to make sure theyre compatible before i spend the money. and speaking of compatibility, when i change out my heads, how do i know which intake manifolds and exhaust headers will fit, or should they still work?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If those are the parts you settled on you need to stop reading magazines and start watching for guys here with cars that run "better than they should" which is a much better way to get an idea of what parts are really good.

I would say stop looking to mod the car till next winter, then try planning again.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Please don't waste your money. You need to spend a lot of time researching. Those are scary questions to ask.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easiest thing to do is call up a sponsor (like texas speed, tick, etc) and tell them what you are looking for in terms of hp and budget.

They can spec out a good heads and cam package that will work.

Read a lot on this site, especially the build threads of different people, and you can see what mistakes to avoid.

I dont know what car you have, but there are longtube headers made for a ton of different cars that would work well with a good heads/cam package.

If you are new to the LS scene, it's probably best to just do headers and bolt ons before tackling a heads/cam job.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BCaywood
Ive been looking and researching all day, and ive found a few parts i like, but im new to this and after reading basically the biginners guide, and now im wondering how well the parts would work together. The parts in question are the AFR 230cc LSX Mongoose heads, part #1660, and the comp cams XFI RPM cam and lifter kit, part #K54-428-11

i just want to make sure theyre compatible before i spend the money. and speaking of compatibility, when i change out my heads, how do i know which intake manifolds and exhaust headers will fit, or should they still work?

Thanks for the help
Did you ever use the AFR heads mentioned above? I'm considering the same heads.

Quick Reply: Cam & Head Combo