Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a strong short block for boost.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a strong short block for boost.

Im in the process of pulling the 5.3 from my s10 with the intentions of taking it to the next level and having a stronger bottom end more able to deal with boost. My goal is a street/strip truck able to make upwards of 900hp I am starting with an iron 6.0 block, bored .030 to make 370ci i've heard good things about the stock cranks but my real dilemma is finding the right piston/rod combo to hold up to the stress. People seem to like JE and CP pistons but im just not sure. Im going to use ported 317 heads and am shooting for around a 9:1 static cr. Also how do I know if I need a $500 set of h beams or a $1200 set of I beams. Just looking for some guidance, thanks in advance
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

900HP at the tire? Or 900hp at the crank?

You don't need a 1200.00 set of I beams.

Manley Rods and Wiseco or Diamond Pistons and you're fine with the stock crank just have it all balanced.

p.s with the money you're going to spend on machining the block, buying pistons, rods, rings, bearings, etc. You're just going to come out cheaper buying a 402 or 408 short block. And would save your a lot time and headache.

I would have just stuck with the 5.3 got manley rods and wiseco pistons balanced it and turn the boost up.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HarshReality
900HP at the tire? Or 900hp at the crank?

You don't need a 1200.00 set of I beams.

Manley Rods and Wiseco or Diamond Pistons and you're fine with the stock crank just have it all balanced.

p.s with the money you're going to spend on machining the block, buying pistons, rods, rings, bearings, etc. You're just going to come out cheaper buying a 402 or 408 short block. And would save your a lot time and headache.

I would have just stuck with the 5.3 got manley rods and wiseco pistons balanced it and turn the boost up.
900 at the tire. I had originally planned on building a 402 but everyone i've talked to so far said stay away from stroked turbo engines because of the piston rocking as its pulled too far out of the bore and oil consumption/blowby as a result. I figured it would be wise to keep everything tight staying with a stock stroke and the extra cubes will still help that rear mount spool quicker.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5.3-on-steroids
900 at the tire. I had originally planned on building a 402 but everyone i've talked to so far said stay away from stroked turbo engines because of the piston rocking as its pulled too far out of the bore and oil consumption/blowby as a result. I figured it would be wise to keep everything tight staying with a stock stroke and the extra cubes will still help that rear mount spool quicker.

The piston rocking does happen it really depends on the design of the piston as well.

If you're looking for 900RWHP

Buy Lunati H beams with ARP 2000bolts Run diamond pistons.

Boring it .030 over is pointless. stick with the stock cubes for the cylinder wall thickness. You want your head gaskets to have that extra surface to seal. Run a 9:5 compression or 9:3 to spool a 88MM turbo or even a 91mm turbo quickly. Throw those 317's on it and if they let you down... sell them and pick up some TrickFlow's. You should be 900ish depends on ur converter etc...
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HarshReality
The piston rocking does happen it really depends on the design of the piston as well.

If you're looking for 900RWHP

Buy Lunati H beams with ARP 2000bolts Run diamond pistons.

Boring it .030 over is pointless. stick with the stock cubes for the cylinder wall thickness. You want your head gaskets to have that extra surface to seal. Run a 9:5 compression or 9:3 to spool a 88MM turbo or even a 91mm turbo quickly. Throw those 317's on it and if they let you down... sell them and pick up some TrickFlow's. You should be 900ish depends on ur converter etc...
good advice, thanks!

Quick Reply: Building a strong short block for boost.