See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Engine rattle and clack.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

From what I remember only certain ATF has the desirable detergents. But "way back when" people would put a quart or half quart in with engine oil and run it. Today you can't just throw a random oil and random ATF together.

I did the b12 on my 6.0 because I thought the engine was trashed. I'm not about to go do it on the trans am.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New to the LS1 game myself. Last year I bought a '02 Z28 with 41k on the clock. Piston slap out the ying yang (at least to the untrained ear....I was a Ford guy for 25 years), and what I think was/is lifter noise as well. Had a knock sensor code that took me a while to fix (had no time)......previous owner replaced the sensors, but got the wires pinched under the intake...thus an intermittent code. Fixed all that, SES off for good. Noticed a lot of oil in the intake, and was burning through a quart of oil every 2500 miles or so. While I had it apart, new plugs, wires, intake O-rings....and a new PCV valve. Oil consumption went WAY down. Can almost go a complete oil change cycle without adding any oil (always Mobil 1). Also noticed it had a 160 degree thermostat. After not being happy with the way the car ran in last winter's few weeks of ridiculous cold....put a stock Delco 189 back in it. 56k on it now, runs outstanding.....but still has occasional loud (to me) lifter noise. Is the low mileage plus years of running that colder thermostat aggravating my condition?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I wonder if the previous owner was very diligent about oil changes. MAYBE some crud might have gotten in the lifters, and once there, it is hard for it to escape. Maybe run some sort of de-sludging witches brew and see if the lifters clear up. The colder thermostat MIGHT have caused some of this, but I doubt it. You were smart to change it though.
The following users liked this post:
Carguy8888 (03-01-2021)
Old 05-04-2023, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the foaming of the oil also cause a drop in the oil pressure? I think I am experiencing the same noises, and after recently replacing my oil pressure sending unit I can watch my oil pressure go from 40PSI at a cold start, to somewhere between 5-15PSI at a hot idle. When I'm on the throttle it will go up slightly, maybe around 20psi or so, but eventually drops back to that lower reading. No low oil light, and really no other issues outside of sometimes it will sound like it might shutdown and the pressure temporarily drops to that 5PSI zone (this is more rare than it sounds).

This is on a 1999 TA 5.7 V8 automatic.

Quick Reply: Engine rattle and clack.