Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle/knock noise maybe not internal

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle/knock noise maybe not internal

Hi Guys, Just did an intake,cam, ported heads, valve springs, push rods, TSP long tubes/ORY pipe, monster stage 2 clutch, new slave etc. you can see it in my signature.

Anyways the engine was internally quiet as a mouse before my swap... Well as quiet as an LS1 will be. Quite noisy when compared to other engines... What I mean is no knocking or anything. Since the swap the thing is noisy as hell. I went with the Torquer V2 and I know it will be noisy but I have this tap/knock that you can only hear like if youre standing by the drivers/passengers door mirror and even more if you put your head down behind the front tire. It almost sounds like a knock but its not a rod... Like a 5% chance that its a rod knock. The part that bugs me is if I walk away from it 30' the knocking noise stands out like a sore thumb and may be kind of embarrassing in the public. I used new exhaust gaskets and torqued them to spec's. I crawled under the car and almost had myself convinced that it was the headers leaking but that is very hard to diagnose and its new headers, new gaskets, and torqued to specs, and heads are like brand new. So then I started to think it was the clutch making noise but the noise didnt change with the engagement or disengagement of the clutch. When I was under the car it definitely seemed to get more pronounced by the plastic cover by the started. All the bolts on the clutch/flywheel etc were torqued and double checked. Im bewildered... its definitely towards the rear of the engine as its not pronounced when at the front of the car from underneath or on top. What in the world is back there that could make a noise like that? clutch (maybe) but anything I did didnt change with the clutch. Exhaust leak (maybe) but how would I confirm that? Rod knock I highly doubt as its not the hearty thump of a rod knock and the car has done this ever since the swap. Its not headers banging the floor or anything like that... Im usually very good at diagnosing this stuff but now im stumped. Is it very plausible to just be the exhaust? Also if you listen to this video at :26-:29 seconds you hear that humming/rubbing noise is that normal with a cam swap. Mine sounds exactly the same. I somewhat recall my front cam bearing possibly showing minimal amount of copper color but its got me worried that its a cam bearing out. My old factory cam had perfect surfaces like it was BRAND NEW! Normal? Sorry for being long breathed just trying to be thorough.

Quick Reply: Rattle/knock noise maybe not internal