Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ls1 Over heating

I have a 98 ls1 Camaro, I recently did a h/c swap. I got everything together and would take the car down the road within a miles it would be 220s and growing in temp. I shut the car down took it back to my garage, I went ahead made sure there wasn't any air in the system and took the car back out and it over heated. I noticed my water pump was leaking, so I went ahead and bought a new one, now I don't have a leak and the car was showing it was only running 180's but I check the radiator and the water was boiling and smoking. so I guess the gauge wasn't registering correctly. I went ahead and checked the coolant crossover lines and ran water through them to see if they came out of the block where the pump goes and water came out, so I would only assume the head gaskets were put on correctly? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you still have an air pocket in it. I use an airlift which pulls a vacuum on the cooling system and then allows you to fill it. Or you can try pulling a hose off at the highest point and fill the cooling system. Try running it with the cap off and see if you can get the air out. Which head gaskets did you use?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mls gaskets. I ran it without the cap for a good while, I have done the swaps a few times and thought maybe I put the head gaskets on wrong even thought I remember double checking it. but I think if I did to it wrong coolant would travel from the crossovers pipes to the water pump.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackLS1m6
Sounds like you still have an air pocket in it. I use an airlift which pulls a vacuum on the cooling system and then allows you to fill it. Or you can try pulling a hose off at the highest point and fill the cooling system. Try running it with the cap off and see if you can get the air out. Which head gaskets did you use?
i agree
Old 05-13-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would try to get the air out of it again before tearing it apart.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an issue about 3 years ago. Turned out to be the sensor in the WP which feed info to pcm which turned on the fans. Sensor was sending wrong info.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermostat sideways or upside down where the bleed hole in the tstat is holding a bubble?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what its worth, i recently 3 weeks ago did a heads (243's) and cam (224R) upgrade and the car would overheat right away.
took heads off make sure it wasnt heads.
took off gaskets made sure they were correctly installed and with no issues
bled the system to make sure there werent any airpockets.
cleaned radiator
cleaned condenser.
3 weeks struggling, car would now overheat after 40 minutes in idle.
or stop light. if i moved the car or advanced, temp would drop.
since its a cooling issue, my solution was to put a universal fan in front of the condenser.problem solved.
the water hoses you can grab them and you can feel that they are not stiff as a rock like before. before they felt they were going to explode any minute.
hope this helps anyone

Quick Reply: Ls1 Over heating