Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weekend cam install goes well

Old 04-26-2004, 11:23 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weekend cam install goes well

Installed a TR224-112 this weekend and other than a few small hitches, it went pretty good being my 1st time. I went off of JMX's install and thanks to him as well as those who gave me info on here last week.
I used the MORE spring tool to take off the springs, but had trouble getting them back on with it. I ended up using another tool to install. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but it all worked out.
The car started right up and idled nicely about 750 rpm's with no drilling or tuning. I was very happy. still haven't really got on it yet, should I be worried about it running too lean? It was alittle rich (looking at the plugs) since the headers install a couple months ago. I can't get it tuned for alittle while, should I worry?
By the way, the LSA is 111.7 with no cats it sounds great! Better than I thought it would. Thanks, any responses or suggestions appreciated.
Russ
Old 04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Good job. Now get it to the track and enjoy it even more.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I want to do a cam swap so bad right now. I am terrified that i will jack something up though. What method did you use to keep the lifters up? Like siverWS-6 said go have fun with that thing now!
Old 04-26-2004, 03:09 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PonyKiln
I want to do a cam swap so bad right now. I am terrified that i will jack something up though. What method did you use to keep the lifters up? Like siverWS-6 said go have fun with that thing now!
Use the metal rods method instead of the pen magnets. The metal rods can be purchased cheaply at home depot. Someone please chime in with the correct diameter of hollow rod.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:55 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Thanks SilverWS6. Oh yea, I definately recommend using the rods to hold the lifters. I used the JPR tools, but they look very easy to fabricate.
Absolutely get a longer pully bolt! I thought the one Thunder sent me was the longer one but it wasn't. That slowed me down quite abit on the removal and install of the pully.
My valvetrain noise isn't as bad as I thought it would be either.

Overall, I would definately recommend doing it yourself, saving lots of money, but like me go slow and double check everything. Bring a friend too, I'm only here in Biloxi going to calibration school. I didn't have any help due to no guys in my class being motorheads (imagine that)
Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Teching In

gettin ready to do my cam,I got two 5/16"x 3' solid rod from home depot,some one said 1/4" rod was a little to small.

Search this Thread