Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV noise, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV noise, how to fix?

I have a 2001 LS1 with a 2004 LS6 PCV system (in the lifter valley). I've got a PCV whine (scream!) that sounds like a belt slipping. I've searched around a lot and found quite a few people that have had the same problem, but no mention of how they fixed it. One guy on here mentioned something about the "ft gasket", but i'm not sure what that is, and if replacing a gasket is going to solve the issue.

The problem started when I swapped valve covers to some aftermarket ones. Unfortunately I need the aftermarket valve covers for clearance.

For those not familiar with the problem, here's a video i found:

I have some unused nipples on the valve covers and I thought about just putting a filter on one of those nipples to allow air in, but i'm concerned about letting air in behind the MAF.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are correct on the cause of the noise is from too much crank case vacuum. and you are also correct you need to get metered air into the crank case. why don't you run the fresh air hose from the TB to the valve cover like it used to be?

the other thing you likely dont see in the posts is what ls6 valley cover was used.. the early style needs a external pcv valve in the hose. the other later style has a built in restriction.

if you have the early ls6 valley cover and you run the hose with no pcv valve in it (not restriction ) it will cause this as it sucks air past gaskets.

Last edited by 89 formula350; 06-01-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I have the "last" LS6 valley cover, so no PCV needed inline as far as i know (i bought the hose and the valley cover as together, brand new, based on a writeup somewhere around here).

When i did the PCV swap i deleted both PCV hoses that were in place, one from each valve cover. It sounds like my problem is that i deleted the hose from the passenger valve cover to the upper nipple on the TB when i shouldn't have. Is that correct? I'll see if i can find that vacuum line and put it back... Makes sense!

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porch
Thanks for the help. I have the "last" LS6 valley cover, so no PCV needed inline as far as i know (i bought the hose and the valley cover as together, brand new, based on a writeup somewhere around here).

When i did the PCV swap i deleted both PCV hoses that were in place, one from each valve cover. It sounds like my problem is that i deleted the hose from the passenger valve cover to the upper nipple on the TB when i shouldn't have. Is that correct? I'll see if i can find that vacuum line and put it back... Makes sense!

Thanks!
yes thats what I would do.

Quick Reply: PCV noise, how to fix?