Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM stop working and hard start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RPM stop working and hard start

Ok I've been trying to solve this problem and have researched but can’t seem to find the help I need. So this is my problem: Car starts up fine, I drive it around under around 70deg temp outside and runs perfect. On a hot day out where it’s in the 80-90's and car gets good and hot is when my problem begins. After I shut her off it would give me trouble starting. It will start after some time. RPM's would also stop working. Sometimes it stops working while driving but it doesn't cause any problems as far as hesitation and running sluggish is concerned. I’m not sure why this only occurs when it’s hot. Only thing I could think of is that I sliced into rpm wire for the nitrous hookup but that won’t explain why car would be giving hard time starting when only hot. Guys plz help point me in the right direction.

Actions I've taken to fix problem:

I've replaced both crankshaft/camshaft sensors.
I've checked for burnt wires from crankshaft positioning sensor to pcm.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do all the PID's look normal while its driving and the problem is occurring.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PID's? Everything is normal. I checked the codes this morning and isn't throwing anything. Since I've replaced both sensors already and motor is only boltons im suspecting a wire or ground. I'm gonna pull the intake off today and start searching. Whats the best way to test the cps wires?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this issue it got really annoying i pulled the intake off 3 times. What i found out was that the wires out of the pcm were all good but when i got to the sensor they were dead. What i did was traced all the cam sensor wires to the pcm and cut them and rewired the cam position sensor. It wasnt hard once i figured it out but it just got really annoying pulling the intake time after time.
If thats not it check the 3 grounds on the back of the drivers side head, and all the other ones all over the car. Also check the fuses and relay's not that its one of those but might as well check.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fixed the problem. Turns out the wire I had run for he window switch was being grounded out. Its a skinny wire so when the engin would heat up the rubber would soften and cause it to ground out due to the way my dad had run it, it was being pressed down on the frame. What a bitch how something so small can cause problems. But all is good and I'm happy to have gotten it fixed. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sepno77
Fixed the problem. Turns out the wire I had run for he window switch was being grounded out. Its a skinny wire so when the engin would heat up the rubber would soften and cause it to ground out due to the way my dad had run it, it was being pressed down on the frame. What a bitch how something so small can cause problems. But all is good and I'm happy to have gotten it fixed. Hope this helps.
EDIT 5/30/14

Just wanted to throw this out there as well. The PCM wasn't bolted down all the way causing a poor connection. Seems like this was the main problem.

Quick Reply: RPM stop working and hard start