Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do we go from here/ mods mods?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Where do we go from here/ mods mods?!?!?

Hey ive got a 2002 M6 Trans am....Ive got flowmaster exaust
SLP longtube headers, high flow cats
K&N filter
strut tower brace
sub frame connectors (both are BMR)

I need a general idea where to go with it next, I heard I guy said I needed new ignition, but I thought I should go for a new cam instead...but ive heard some guys tell me that with my power now I should get a new clutch/shifter and maybe a new rearend...I want engine mods but I want to do it the right way...what is an appropriate step? Drivetrain mods(clutch shifter rearend...etc...) or can I climb back into my engine and get a sweet cam, or maybe even a new intake manifold

Any and all sugestions I would appreciate, I want more power but I dont, know what would be the best thing right now considering the mods I have now...or should I make sure my drivetrain is strong??? HELP ME THX
Old 04-27-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

You do not need to touch an ignition in these cars, its already damn good. I was at your point a couple of years ago, and I took the path that led to a camshaft. I've been happy with it ever since.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by felton316
You do not need to touch an ignition in these cars, its already damn good. I was at your point a couple of years ago, and I took the path that led to a camshaft. I've been happy with it ever since.
yea some kid about my age (19) was talking to me about it...I really want a new cam...any suggestions. SLP, COMPCAMS...what do people like out there?

And what about my clutch and rearend, im running about 365hp and 385tq dont I need a new clutch or rearend if im gona push it over 400hp...thx alot for the comment
Old 04-27-2004, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

365HP & 385tq is not to the wheels right? with those mods the hp and tq should be to the crank.
The next mod that should be on your list should be a cam or if you have bad clutch and in need of an upgrade I would go with spec stage 3 clutch.
My suggestion on a cam's would be a compcam 224/224 581/581 lift on 112 Lsa
cuz with stock heads the cam great, almost 400 HP is obtainable with tuning on M6 cars and your rearend MIGHT handel it if you dont beat on it all the time.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by yukz
365HP & 385tq is not to the wheels right? with those mods the hp and tq should be to the crank.
The next mod that should be on your list should be a cam or if you have bad clutch and in need of an upgrade I would go with spec stage 3 clutch.
My suggestion on a cam's would be a compcam 224/224 581/581 lift on 112 Lsa
cuz with stock heads the cam great, almost 400 HP is obtainable with tuning on M6 cars and your rearend MIGHT handel it if you dont beat on it all the time.

THX for the reply...IM only assuming its at the rear wheel cuz stock i was 325 and 345, slp header package with flowmasters @25-35hp and K&N is about 6-10hp im only assuming those #'s are at the rearwheel....

plz correct me if im wrong...im in a learning stage...thx
Old 04-27-2004, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLP/Drew
THX for the reply...IM only assuming its at the rear wheel cuz stock i was 325 and 345, slp header package with flowmasters @25-35hp and K&N is about 6-10hp im only assuming those #'s are at the rearwheel....

plz correct me if im wrong...im in a learning stage...thx

The stock #'s from GM are at the crank. You're talking about crank numbers. Also if you do some looking around on the forums you'll see that your K&N is worth about 0 HP. I've got one too and I'm gonna get rid of it b/c a paper filter does a better job of actually filtering. You're probably losing power with your flowmasters too btw. One of the most restrivive exhausts out there for these cars. They sound great though . Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Craig
Old 04-27-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

With your above mods I would think 330rwhp @ equal torque. Your next mods really depend on what you want to do with the car. If you want a Track Car then go the stronger clutch, beef up your suspension and add a stronger rear axle. If you just want more power and the ability to go fast quicker then a nice cam is a good idea. Your 02 came with an LS6 intake manifold from the factory so you don't need to replace it as it's a proven performer. For your first cam I would recommend a cam in the range of 220-228 duration on a 114 or 112 LSA depending on how you like your idle quality. Also remember if you are gonna do a cam swap to a more aggressive cam be prepared to anty up the usual $500 for a complete LS1 Edit PCM tune as the car will never run up to it's full potential without a tune. Idle quality and driveability will also be vastly improved. Hell with your current mods a tune would likely add 10 rwhp and make your powerband look alot meaner. Also factor in labor costs for the install and the $ needed for when the valvesprings need replacing. Learning to work on your own motor is a great thing as it saves you alot of $$$ and you learn something in the process. HTH
Old 04-27-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
The stock #'s from GM are at the crank. You're talking about crank numbers. Also if you do some looking around on the forums you'll see that your K&N is worth about 0 HP. I've got one too and I'm gonna get rid of it b/c a paper filter does a better job of actually filtering. You're probably losing power with your flowmasters too btw. One of the most restrivive exhausts out there for these cars. They sound great though . Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Craig

Yea that does suck but i need to hear those things...we all got to start somewhere thx...