Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/Cam help

I've got a lifter going bad on my 02 WS6 so I'm going to go ahead and move forward and do a head/cam setup while I've got it pulled apart.

Current Mods:
SLP Lid
Smooth Bellows
SLP CAI Kit
Pacesetter LTs
ORY
Magnaflow Catback
SFC

Goal of 500 whp with some additional mods down the road. Maybe a Fast intake and some spray. May even add some boost with the help of a Procharger down the road. I don't daily the car but when I do drive it, it's usually to work and back which is 44 miles each way (all highway). I'm not afraid of bad fuel economy so an aggressive cam that will need the help of 4.10's isn't out of the question. I have a basic understanding of engine internals but know nothing about flow, duration, LSA, or how any of it comes into play.

What combo will serve me best without having to redo everything in a year or two when I decide I need more? Any additional parts I'll need in addition to a fully assembled set of heads, the cam, timing chain and lifters? Was just going to go with LS7 lifters. Was thinking PRC 5.3 heads but I think it will raise the compression too high if I decide to spray or do a blower down the road.

Preferred budget is $4,000 and I will be paying someone to do the work (discounted rate from a friend/co-worker that is a GM engine tech). I can go as high as $5,500 comfortably.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

500 hp to the wheels can be tough for a ls1 but nothing is impossible. Do some searches on previous builds, there is a lot of good info out there if you take the time to look. a few things, you can get better heads for cheaper than the PRCs, also if you go big with a cam you will need to really make sure the motor can handle it, springs, valves, PTV clearance (maybe flycut if you have a lot of lift). If the car has a lot of miles it might be time to look at the bottom end. personally if I were you I would just buy a 6.0 iron block and work on that, if you keep the low compression you can always throw on a supercharger down the line... another thing to keep in mind if you are working on a budget if your rear end is a stock 10 bolt it might not hold, I have heard of people with more hp and being fine but they are a weak point. either way take your time do your research and really plan out your build.... learn from me... research and plan your build... not to rip on anyone on forums but sometimes talking to a shop can be better than reading on the forums, you can't trust what you read on the internet... good luck with your build and keep us posted
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vengeance racing sells a complete head/cam combo for under $2900,makes 470 rwhp.there is a recipe for 500 rwhp.get the best heads you can afford ,and get a custom cam to match it .
Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Teching In

I work at a GM dealership and we have a 6.2 out of a Yukon Denali that I could buy for $1,200 (core charge thru GM) Includes heads. It has a bad cam or cam bearing. Going to open it up tomorrow. Would this be worth buying? Obviously the heads would need some work but I'm thinking just for the aluminum block this is a can't miss at that price. New rotating assembly, head work, cam and an intake probably all under $6,000???

Edit: Just remembered that I would have to buy new heads as these are vortec heads.... I think.. Help!!!

Last edited by GilbertWs6; 07-10-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Dummy
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GilbertWs6
I work at a GM dealership and we have a 6.2 out of a Yukon Denali that I could buy for $1,200 (core charge thru GM) Includes heads. It has a bad cam or cam bearing. Going to open it up tomorrow. Would this be worth buying? Obviously the heads would need some work but I'm thinking just for the aluminum block this is a can't miss at that price. New rotating assembly, head work, cam and an intake probably all under $6,000???

Edit: Just remembered that I would have to buy new heads as these are vortec heads.... I think.. Help!!!
You work at a dealer ship? Vortec heads??... For $1200.00 ill buy it where you at?...
Vortec is an engine designation for trucks. I've got( had ) several 6.0 and one 5.3 all with a plastic piece on them that say vortec. Before you spend $5,500.00 on anything you need to find out what your doing. Send me the information on the 6.2 in PM. And you start looking ( research) different builds. 500 whp is expensive and really not very likely or drivable at least by most people's standards. If you have $5,500.00 to spend as you claim call huron speed or modular turbo.
Modular turbo keeps fans in stock location, keeps A/C and stock member. You can order every part you need from either aside from truck exhaust manifolds. Just remember to PM me about the 6.2. Hahaha vortec hahahah
Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do yourself a favor and just get a procharger. Much more room to grow than H/C/I and same price.

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam help