Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/LS3 cam help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013 | 10:12 PM
Teching In

Default LQ4/LS3 cam help needed

Hi, Im to the point where I need to pick the cam and related components for my engine build. It is an LQ4 block with flat top pistons,,, so an LQ9 block with LS3 heads. At this point I am not sure whether I should spend th $$$ on better valvesprings to have a higher lift cam or not. I was looking at the CompCams XFI™ RPM Hi-Lift, XR275HR cam. It keeps my lift below the .570 allowed by the springs on the LS3 heads and save me some. Found a good review on it...

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html

With a setup similar to mine they got 500hp out of it, that seems pretty good but hard to believe.

The car will be a driver so streetability is important. How much more power do you think a good streetable cam will give me compared to this?

Any help and advise would be awesome
Old 03-08-2019 | 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stickshift69
Hi, Im to the point where I need to pick the cam and related components for my engine build. It is an LQ4 block with flat top pistons,,, so an LQ9 block with LS3 heads. At this point I am not sure whether I should spend th $$$ on better valvesprings to have a higher lift cam or not. I was looking at the CompCams XFI™ RPM Hi-Lift, XR275HR cam. It keeps my lift below the .570 allowed by the springs on the LS3 heads and save me some. Found a good review on it...

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html

With a setup similar to mine they got 500hp out of it, that seems pretty good but hard to believe.

The car will be a driver so streetability is important. How much more power do you think a good streetable cam will give me compared to this?

Any help and advise would be awesome
I have the xr275 cam on a lq4 with 243 heads and a tune stock converter awesome driver. The 1-2 shift is a bit Harry (sideways for 20ft) or so at 6800rpm shift but real fun driver 1969 beaumont with a 4l80e .

Quick Reply: LQ4/LS3 cam help needed