Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over revved ls1

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably bent #8 valve. Pull heads check it over real good even if it did kiss a piston as long as it's not cracked you are good to go. Put a complete set of new lifters and trays in it while it's tore down. Do what ever repairs or replacement to the head are necessary. May as well put a set of 243's on it while you are in it if you damaged a head. If you were thinking about cammin it now's the time to do it and go ahead and put a new timing set in it while cam's out. All depends on your budget how much mods you do while it's down.

FYI not once since 1998 have I ever seen a LS or LQ jump a tooth and I've seen them exploded every which way you can blow a motor. But that's not to say there isn't a first time. Set it dot to dot and make sure everything is lined up where it's supposed to be.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the valve covers of had 3 bent pushrods replaced them rockers n springs all looked good final evaluation im thinking its lifters, so ima tearing it all apart n jus gonna build it, full valvetrain for now ls7 lifters hardened pushrods 1.85 ratio rockers n ls6 valve springs, then cam swap later on, thinking lg motorsports g5x3 cam afr 215 cc heads all the supporting mods, i got full suspension already wit nt05 all around short shifter n all that... Ill have working on my car i always do, thanks to everyone for the feedback and comments
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always try doing a leak down test or a compression test that could point you in the right direction.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aftermarket cams and 1.85 rockers don't mix... Just upgrade the stock rockers and do yourself a favor...instead of getting a cam with let's say .580 lift and adding 1.85 rockers for approx .05 extra lift just get a .600+ lift cam to begin with... In a manual car you want all the valve train stability you can get bc after your incident you see what can happen...also make sure you get some hardened pushrods to avoid bending the stockers
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I forgot to mention but ls6 springs aren't good for any cam other than a LS6 cam get some comp 918s, lunati, Brian tooleys, etc...the cam you listed with ls6 springs would be a nightmare and adding 1.85 rockers would be bent valves and mangled pistons for sure...I'm just trying to tell you to do you homework, talk to pat g or Martin from tick they can steer you in the right direction so you won't have anymore isssues
Old 07-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to do the valvetrain on stock cam n stock heads, wen i get the g5x3 cam its gonna be matched wit stuff im putting on afr heads, the valvetrain i mentioned is for a street setup, temporary maybe ill drive it like that for a while, it dont matter that im changing the heads n cam again later, i jus wanna say i got a good "stock" car lol, get me? I got a couple bluprints writen up with different combinations but my goal is about 500 rwhp on my car, or close to that, i hate drag racing so i wanna autocross n drift n all that as i do now with my full susoension setup, im addicted to 4th gen camaros n i research n research like theres no tomorow

Quick Reply: Over revved ls1