Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with spec diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with spec diagnostics

Hey guys, first thing, I had to create a new account, I'm really not totally new to the forum.

Onward to the post!

I have a built LQ9 from texas speed that I am putting back together after a maggie intercooler broke and caused some serious headache.

I am putting together the valve train right now and I need some help figuring out tolerances and whether or not anything is going to break.

The old setup that worked flawlessly on my LS1: ported 241 heads, crane gold 1.8 rockers, crane pushrods (7.25 I believe), crane dual valve springs (titanium retainers, etc), crane hydraulic roller lifters (stock replacement), MTI Stealth 2 cam (224/220 .581/.581 116 LSA).

The new setup: all same parts as above, just moved onto 317 heads.

Problem that occurred recently: Recently, I had put stock rockers and stock pushrods on the 317 heads. Everything else stayed the same. The car did not like that combo, 1 push rod bent, 1 rocker arm bearing broke and 1 lifter top collapsed. Obviously something went wrong... the only big difference I could see was the stock push rods were noticeably longer than the hardened cam pushrods that came with the 1.8 rockers.

Why I used stock parts: While in the midst of moving garages, I was waiting on parts that had not arrived, so I was forced to put together a 'stock' head/valve train in order to get the car up and moved.
I had the parts so it wasn't a big deal at the time.

Question: Was the breaking of the stock parts some freak incident or were the tolerances so far off it caused a break. Should I be worried about using the 1.8 rockers and 7.25 pushrods on the 317 heads with a stealth II cam? Do I need to change the pushrod length?

Thanks a ton guys, there is a wealth of knowledge here, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

People generally do not use 1.8 rockers with aftermarket cams.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

7.400" pr in place of the original setup at 7.25"??

Quick Reply: Need help with spec diagnostics