Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant issue after Cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant issue after Cam swap

You guys might have seen me posting the other day about the lifter issue; thanks again, it was resolved.

So the engine is back together and when I filled the coolant I put just about the whole jug of dex cool in when it came to the top of the resovoir. Ran the engine for the first time for a few minutes, and the temp kept climbing. The coolant level did not drop, it was still brimmed. No hoses are kinked, and water pump was installed with no problem.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

If it makes the problem any more clear, the drain valve is open but little to no coolant is comming out
Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still have no coolant flow in the block. Has to be bled. When I did my cam swap I was having this issue, the temp kept climbing and I would turn it off. But I decided to let it climb a little more (little passed 3/4) then the thermostat opened. Coolant started to flow and the temp went down. Have someone help you watch the temp while you keep adding coolant and let them know to not let it pass 3/4 of temp
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thats the strange thing, I took it past 3/4 and the coolant tube was still at the top, didn't lower at all.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bleed air out by removing hose from steam crossover tube.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fill the block, behind the thermostat, through a heater hose. With water on the back side of the thermostat it will heat up and open correctly. Been through this a lot on conversions.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Fill the block, behind the thermostat, through a heater hose. With water on the back side of the thermostat it will heat up and open correctly. Been through this a lot on conversions.
Remove the thermostat to do so? Or do you mean through another tube?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Let it cool for a while and the level dropped so i added some water. Whenever the engine was on, the temp rose and the coolant didn't move. After it was off it would take some more in and I could add more. After 2 or so times of doing this it stopped taking fluid and kept at the same level. Altogether I probably put in the full jug of dex cool and about 4/10ths of the jug filled with water. Also unplugged the steam tube and let it air out. `Still overheats like crazy at idle.

I'm starting to think maybe something with the tuning(Diablosport I1000). I might be able to adjust the thermostat controls on the ecu or something.

Quick Reply: Coolant issue after Cam swap