Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 LS2 timing set on 98 trans am???

Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 05 LS2 timing set on 98 trans am???

So here is my problem I purchased a 98 trans am that the PO swapped the cam and heads. Since the swap there has been a cam position sensor issue. I pulled the intake and sensor and looked down the hole with a borescope and couldn't see a reluctor while rotating the engine. Which leads me to believe the cam he was given (guy was literally given a free cam and spring set) has no reluctor. I removed the front cover and confirmed retainer plate bolts haven't backed out. I work for a dealer and did a little poking around in service information and it looks like a 2005 GTO and vette use the same 24x / 1x combo as my 98 LS1. My question is can I install a complete LS2 timing set and front cover. Then re-route / wire the CMP harness to the LS2 sensor in the front cover? I verified the P/N for the oil pumps are the same. Has anybody done this before I ran a search and didn't see anything that exactly matched my problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea they make a conversion kit to move sensor to front cover, but I don't know why you would want to...you can just use an ls2 timing chain on either your current timing gears or new ls1 timing gears...a lot of cam sensor codes come from the depth of the sensor being wrong and sometimes the sensor needs to be shimmed, but I can really see a cam being in there without a reluctor, while not impossible I would believe that's highly unlikely...anyway hope you get it sorted out....and just for your own info 98 has a different PCM then other year ls1s so sometimes you run into some weird stuff wiring wise...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to go this route so i don't have to go further into the engine. I'm a tech at a chevy dealer so i have full access to all of GMs info on the parts. My problem is that if i pull the cam i need to measure it and then spend 200 to 400 dollars on another one. I can get all the ls2 parts for about 120 my cost. The car runs great setup the way it is I'm just looking to cure the hard start condition caused by the lack of cam sensor input
Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You are on the right track. Use the existing LS oil pump or replace with the correct one for the 98. Install a 1x cam gear and front cover with correct 1x cam sensor extend the wires from the rear of motor to front and you are good to go. You can Put in a LS2 timing set if you want to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 LS2 timing set on 98 trans am???