Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power gains of ls9/vr1 cam in a 4.8? Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power gains of ls9/vr1 cam in a 4.8? Turbo?

Trying to decide if the power gains are worth the hassle of cam and spring installation in my turbo 4.8 using the ls9 camshaft. Especially when turbo cams are only a couple hundred bucks more. I did some searching but found mostly speculation or only results using this cam in the larger ci engines.

Does anyone have an idea what kind Of performance to expect by using a ls9 cam with springs in a stock n/a 4.8? What about a stock 4.8 on 14ish psi from turbo?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fast86z
Trying to decide if the power gains are worth the hassle of cam and spring installation in my turbo 4.8 using the ls9 camshaft. Especially when turbo cams are only a couple hundred bucks more. I did some searching but found mostly speculation or only results using this cam in the larger ci engines.

Does anyone have an idea what kind Of performance to expect by using a ls9 cam with springs in a stock n/a 4.8? What about a stock 4.8 on 14ish psi from turbo?
Compared to a stock cam the the LS9 will give you solid gains. Lingenfelter uses the LS9 cam instead of an in house FI grind now. You will need the correct timing gear because the LS9 is a three bolt cam, and you may have to convert to an LS2 style front cover depending on the model year of your motor.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should give a good gain, there are to many variables on a turbo motor for me to give a solid estimate on hp numbers.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

I swapped in an LS9 cam and lost power over the stock cam. Same tune AFR was richer across the board all the way to 6000 rpm on the same boost. I was told by some other folks that the 230 exhaust duration was hurting the performance. That and the super wide LSA is not right for such a short stroke/CI engine.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast86z
I swapped in an LS9 cam and lost power over the stock cam. Same tune AFR was richer across the board all the way to 6000 rpm on the same boost. I was told by some other folks that the 230 exhaust duration was hurting the performance. That and the super wide LSA is not right for such a short stroke/CI engine.
I agree, that is definitely not the cam I would use...sorry I didn't see the original post to help you out before hand, hopefully your post has enlightened others though

Quick Reply: Power gains of ls9/vr1 cam in a 4.8? Turbo?