Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Help Needed!!!! Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately let us know. After reading this thread I am really curious about this.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given it runs OK for a while after startup, and then starts acting up, points to a closed-loop problem....O2 sensor(s), coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor are usually top of the suspect list. If it was the MAF, it would likely act up both in closed and open loop...that sensor is used fulltime to my knowledge.

Given your K&N filter oil problem, the Intake Air Temp sensor is highly suspect and I'd go there next. It's somewhere upstream of your MAF, usually pushed into the filter lid I believe. Without a scantool or laptop scanner, I don't know of a way to check them...so grab a replacement and pop it in.

What does your dashboard coolant temp gauge show? Normal ~210deg reading or whatever it usually shows, or something other? If it's reading way lower than usual, you have a suspect and should replace the coolant temp sensor (driver side cyl head, near #1 cylinder).

If the coolant temp is normal and the replacement IAT sensor doesn't nail it, the O2 sensors are next. Visually inspect the wiring starting at the sensors and working your way back to the main harness, looking for burns or breaks. Disconnect, inspect for bent pins, and reconnect each sensor. Re-test. If it still acts up, replacing the two forward O2 sensors with Delco parts (dealership) would be my next step.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Ok the car is in the care of my friendly Chevy Dealership! lol anyways we told them that we wanted to have the MAP and TPS sensor changed because we said " We took it to a Diagnostics shop and they pointed out that was the problem, so warrenty is going to take care of my new sensors".... If i still have my problem then im going to do what you said....Although I dont have o2 sensors on the back, I just have the sim's so im going to plug the o2's back in just to see if that might be it!
Old 05-02-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have the fuel filter that you took off cut it open and have a look. Could be something in your tank that is clogging things up.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

I already did cut the filter open and there wasnt anything really clogging it, it looked fine to me, just a lil dirty but besides that nothing major there..
Old 05-02-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Reflash
Old 05-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Send out the computer to have it reflashed again?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by two02camaro
If i still have my problem then im going to do what you said....Although I dont have o2 sensors on the back, I just have the sim's so im going to plug the o2's back in just to see if that might be it!
I'd be more concerned with the forward O2 sensors, the rears aren't used for fuel trim adjustment.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

the front o2's as far as i know are fine, and if they went bad i think i heard before that they would throw a code in the cars computer system so i would know what the exact problem is...I get the car back later on today with the new map sensor and the new TPS sensor, so im crossing my fingers!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Well crainholio, you were right, the dealship said that it was one of the front o2 sensors that was messing up, but I doint know why it didnt throw a code! But anyways thats what they said and I get the car back later on today, so as soon as i get it out and take it for a real good drive then i'll let Evereyone know....This is a problem most people have been having I guess and I think I may just solve everyones problem with this.... If this ius really the trick then whoever else has this problem REMEMBER this post so that you can save some money in the future
Old 05-04-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Crainholio will defer taking a bow, until you report the car's running right...
Old 05-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Alright everyone, the problem is fixed, it was the front o2 sensors....BOTH OF THEM! and the DYNO MAN WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO COULD TELL!!!!! He had the software which could access the computer after it had been flashed b4 cause the reason of no codes was because the codes which should of tripped didnt because they were erased from the cars computer! So that was my problem and the tune also got me another 34 ponies too.... So for $500 it was worth it to me and the o2 sensors we got them under warranty from the dealership and then we took them back to the dyno guy and they put them on our car and tuned it PERFECTLY! She runs amazing now!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Cool beans dude.

I AM THE GREAT CRAINHOLIO!! I NEED TP FOR MY BUNGHOLE!!

heh heh heh Bunghole!! BUNGHOLE!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crainholio
Cool beans dude.

I AM THE GREAT CRAINHOLIO!! I NEED TP FOR MY BUNGHOLE!!

heh heh heh Bunghole!! BUNGHOLE!!!
uh Craino, I believe you owe us a bow...

two02, Glad to see you're runnin' right as rain.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Hey im happy as hell to that she runs.... I raced tonight and blew out an Evo and a few mustangs (nothing big just a few 5.0's, lol)