Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^thats what spurred my last H/C swap! "Suspected lifter noise". I had made spirited run bounced off the rev limiter on 2nd/3rd(lots of wheel spin).....had a real loud lifter tick after that...for the record the noise did subside the next day, but I was paranoid, parked the car and ordered parts. The lifters I took out looked fine, trex cam looked fine and pushrods looked fine. However definitely had some spring bind, notice some valve seal bits sitting in the heads and had a few eye brows on the pistons from exhaust valves making contact. I was lucky....good luck bro
Old 09-02-2013, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Figured I'd post up the solution for those with the same problem in the future. The culprit was the oil pump pickup tube o-ring. Fixed the issue and got it tuned tonight...runs like a champ
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by predatorz28
Alright guys I finally got around to taking the valve covers off and everything checked out good except for a clogged pushrod. I unclogged the pushrod and the noise still persists. This noise comes only when holding above 1500+ rpm for at least 30 seconds. Once I let the engine idle the noise goes away after another 30 seconds.

Does sound like a bad oil pump o ring to anybody? I replaced the oil pump during the swap and re-used to o ring since the pump didn't come with one. At cold start up I have 60 psi at idle and when it gets warm I have anywhere from 30-40 psi.

This what mine did when it was the oil pump oring. I replace it and the pump and problem went away. Maybe you pinched it when you went together with it?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by predatorz28
Figured I'd post up the solution for those with the same problem in the future. The culprit was the oil pump pickup tube o-ring. Fixed the issue and got it tuned tonight...runs like a champ
Thanks for sharing the fix! Any dyno numbers to share? Happy with the feel of the cam?

Quick Reply: Ticking noise after cam install