Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrist pin removal/install

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrist pin removal/install

What is your favorite method for doing this? Is there any harm in heating the rod a bit before pressing them out? In the same manner when installing could I heat the rod and toss the pins in the freezer for a few hours?

I have a buddy that works on electric motors and has shown me some cool tricks on installing bearings with no tools just by cooling the bearings and heating the race surface. Thought the same principal would apply here.

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just press the wrist pin out with a fixture and hydraulic shop press. You don't need to heat the rod when pressing the wrist pin out. When I install the wrist pins I warm the rod eyes up and install the new wrist pins. I prefer this method because you don't have to worry about damaging the piston. I've seen pistons get damaged when people don't use the correct tooling to press the pin back in the rod eye.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im pretty sure if you heat the small end of the rod it would take it out of round. im not sure what kind of effects it could have on the small end of the rod though. what i would do is just use a press. ive used that freezing trick on bushings before, shouldnt hurt the wrist pin if you freeze it

Quick Reply: Wrist pin removal/install