Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Build

Hey everyone. Well I need help on a ton of things. It started in high school I bought a 89 IROC and built it with my father. It was FAST. It was totaled that same year. I have always loved fast cars. So I recently went and bought a 98 Z28 with only 50k miles on it. Now this is where the help comes in. I was never taught by my father how to build HP or torque. I just did the labor to the car. I have been reading post after post on here about all these different builds. I did not understand most of what was being said. I am going to be graduating soon and will have more than enough income to build the car I want.

A street/strip car. I want to be able to beat anything on the street and any street/strip car on the strip.

Yet where do I start? I will be building the engine on a stand and redoing everything in the car. I just do not know what I should put into the engine.

I am not worried about the cost.. I just need to know how to build torque and hp and make them work together. I don't really know anything except how to rip it apart and put it back together. Can anyone give me some advice on where I can read up on this to learn and not feel like I am dumb or what I should do to learn. And what advice does anyone have for me as my car sits now. I have a beefy trans with a 2400 stall torque converter, borja 3'' exhaust, ebaich lowering kit and suspension. I want some 443 heads and a intake for now. is there any suggestions on what I should do to get some hp now that I can also use later.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad_98_Z28
Hey everyone. Well I need help on a ton of things. It started in high school I bought a 89 IROC and built it with my father. It was FAST. It was totaled that same year. I have always loved fast cars. So I recently went and bought a 98 Z28 with only 50k miles on it. Now this is where the help comes in. I was never taught by my father how to build HP or torque. I just did the labor to the car. I have been reading post after post on here about all these different builds. I did not understand most of what was being said. I am going to be graduating soon and will have more than enough income to build the car I want.

A street/strip car. I want to be able to beat anything on the street and any street/strip car on the strip.

Yet where do I start? I will be building the engine on a stand and redoing everything in the car. I just do not know what I should put into the engine.

I am not worried about the cost.. I just need to know how to build torque and hp and make them work together. I don't really know anything except how to rip it apart and put it back together. Can anyone give me some advice on where I can read up on this to learn and not feel like I am dumb or what I should do to learn. And what advice does anyone have for me as my car sits now. I have a beefy trans with a 2400 stall torque converter, borja 3'' exhaust, ebaich lowering kit and suspension. I want some 443 heads and a intake for now. is there any suggestions on what I should do to get some hp now that I can also use later.
Probably.get a bigger stall if you plan on camping the car and I think you mean 243 heads not 443 heads?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Well I have a few friends that drag race and a some of them said 443 heads. The heads that come off the ls6. They are all building for cheap hp. A friend of mine runs in the 6's (from what he tells me) and he only spent about 6k on his engine. Right now I am in college and I was looking for parts I can pretty much bolt on, and use in a later build(no matter the cost). Heads, intake, ect. I have no idea how any of this works (I know what they do, just how to find out how much hp gains and how different parts work together). I have been reading posts on all these other websites and it seemed to my the people here are more educated.

I have a few friends that went with the carbureted on their 3rd gen. Which really is better intake or carb?
Which heads can I bolt on now and use for a massive build later on?

The higher stall torques is what I wanted to look at but with a stock cam I lose a ton of traction and cant get off the line fast. So I wanted some wider rims to put on the car but I do not know what to look for and how wide I should go on the rear end. I just spent 1200 on tires for the car that the guy said "no way you can break traction on these on the street". Guess what when I try and take off with the 2400 stall the car breaks lose and just spins until I let off and jump back on..

Really I am trying to get into the engine until I graduate. At that time I will be breaking the car completely down and rebuilding from the ground up. So what can I do for horse power gains with out getting into the block to cam it our and change the pistons and all that. Right now a turbo would be a down the road thing.

Last edited by Brad_98_Z28; 10-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad_98_Z28
Well I have a few friends that drag race and a some of them said 443 heads. The heads that come off the ls6. They are all building for cheap hp. A friend of mine runs in the 6's (from what he tells me) and he only spent about 6k on his engine. Right now I am in college and I was looking for parts I can pretty much bolt on, and use in a later build(no matter the cost). Heads, intake, ect. I have no idea how any of this works (I know what they do, just how to find out how much hp gains and how different parts work together). I have been reading posts on all these other websites and it seemed to my the people here are more educated.

I have a few friends that went with the carbureted on their 3rd gen. Which really is better intake or carb?
Which heads can I bolt on now and use for a massive build later on?

The higher stall torques is what I wanted to look at but with a stock cam I lose a ton of traction and cant get off the line fast. So I wanted some wider rims to put on the car but I do not know what to look for and how wide I should go on the rear end. I just spent 1200 on tires for the car that the guy said "no way you can break traction on these on the street". Guess what when I try and take off with the 2400 stall the car breaks lose and just spins until I let off and jump back on..

Really I am trying to get into the engine until I graduate. At that time I will be breaking the car completely down and rebuilding from the ground up. So what can I do for horse power gains with out getting into the block to cam it our and change the pistons and all that. Right now a turbo would be a down the road thing.
They are 243 heads

I would start by searching Head/Cam builds and start familiarizing yourself with more of what goes on with a swap and the power gains you can get..

If your going to turbo down the road then it will change anything you do to your car today so I wouldn't think like that..

243 heads are a good budget casting that you can always remove them later on and have them ported for more power..
Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 AM

Yea I was just looking at the 243 heads. I think my friends are just trying to make me sound dumber when I tell people 443 heads. I am sure they will get a kick out of this little post when I show them..

What about an intake? I was looking at them also and they have a 102mm intake that will go with the stock throttle body (in which case I can save for the 102mm Throttle body). Its the Fast Lsxr 102mm..

I knew when I went to start this project from the ground up some if not all of what I get now will have to be sold and then I will have to start with the ls1 block.

I was told on the Ls engines its all about how much I can get them to breath. How much air I can force down its throat. Is there any truth in that?
Old 10-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Review my build list. It would be a good place to start. Or my entire thread I have on here. I go through why I picked each thing or ultimately changed something.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/17133774-post8.html
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Well if you have an unlimited budget just move up to a crate motor (LS3,LS7) because an LS1 won't beat everything on the street and surely won't beat every street/strip car!!
Just trying to give you a reality check here, if you want to build it yourself then start with another block so you can drive your car during the build then do a swap later!!

Quick Reply: Ls1 Build