Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 Cam Choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That cam will be fine to run with the elbow for now. Make sure that the valve seat that corresponds with the bent valve is not damaged nor is the valve guide.

I'd take the heads to a good machine shop that does cylinder head work and have them look them over to make sure everything looks A O.K.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
That cam will be fine to run with the elbow for now. Make sure that the valve seat that corresponds with the bent valve is not damaged nor is the valve guide. I'd take the heads to a good machine shop that does cylinder head work and have them look them over to make sure everything looks A O.K.
You dont think my 1.7 non adjustable harland sharp rocker arms had anything to do with my valve train issues do you?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

Possibly, but I would think a bent valve would be caused by interference with the piston or an over rev. Although it's possible that valve train instability from the roller rockers could of caused enough of an instability issue to cause P to V interference.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well im thinking im just gonna throw lifters in the car & have my heads fixed & checked. Then when i get moved to NC & settled in, tear it back apart & up grade it with your cam. What could i do to strengthen the valve train more? Shaft mounted rocker arms & thicker pushrods or what?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

The only shaft mounted rocker arms I sell and trust are Jesels. They are pretty steep in price as well. IMO they don't belong in a hydraulic roller set-up unless you're trying to make every ounce of power possible and need the added valve lift a roller rocker can allow.

Having a custom 5/16"-3/8" push rod made by Manton would be a great way to fortify your valve train even more.

I'd honestly go ahead and do the cam now as that cam is no where near optimal for your intake. It will lose a ton of torque under 5500rpm and will no longer be as fun to drive.

I'd put a set of BTR SLR lifters in it with the 233/244 camshaft and call it done for now. Push rods are very easy to swap out compared to a camshaft.

Quick Reply: 383 Cam Choice