Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on thunder racing's T-rex cam...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO... I was reading the thread thinking these people are out of their damn minds, then I read the date on one of the post.

The trex is bad *** for an all out cam only car, but I think people don't realise it takes FULL bolt ons to make/run the numbers. Like 1 7/8" headers, fast 90/90, and the right gears. But also while the car does sound like a pro stock it is a very streetable cam when tuned right. The cams effects on drivability are VERY low on the list of what I don't like about driving my car on the street. The lack of power steering and detroit locker are far more annoying that the cam. In fact it is vary streetable, and I got 21mpg on my last trip with several WOT blasts and coming most of the way home in 5th gear (due to drone from my exhaust setup, not cause it won't cruize in 6th)

But yeah, the cam has been proven several times, but we all know this now.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
hahahahahahhaah You people make me laugh. First off I'd like to know many of you guys saying this cam isnt streetable actually have this cam, if not; you should leave this alone. I see alot of people commenting on how they THINK it is based upon the specs.

I have the cam, it makes more power than my stock cam across the ENTIRE range, it wont get "whooped" in lower rpms. I have physical proof of that in my rear view mirror. The cam is awesome, plenty streetable with 4.10 gears. I wouldnt second doubt my decision if I had it all over again. I drive my car in the rain, around the city (Boston), on highway trips and through whatever else I have to.

Find out from people who have the cam.
I agree, mine was just fine when I drove it around
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

i love the trex drive it in stop and go traffic all the time and on the hwy. with the right tune you can drive it any were. just as streetable as my ms3 and a ton more power!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm heading towards this cam after running a G5x3 in my car for about a year and a half. I just hope it doesnt turn into a complete slug until 6500rpm....

I guess theres only one way to find out, haha
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM

I guess in a 5.3 would kill you guys huh ???
oh well dare to be Different !!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Originally Posted by White Fire
The way I see it, this cam has made boatloads of power but hasn't did jack **** in terms of quarter mile performance.

Exactly,
I'm sure it has it's applications, but for street/strip there are better choices.

Sounds like this guy knows how to cam a car for the real world.

Last edited by studderin; 11-09-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

WOW reading this thread was crazy people were flippin about this cam it wont do this. it cant do that. you wont like this. you wont like that .you cant **** it. you cant drive it. it wont work. it wont run you cant drive it on the street. you cant. you cant WTF all I know is for the money its what I want a cam to do make HP 6 years later its still the cam only record holder so I dont think anybody has came up with anything better in a stock ls1 ...I love finding these old threads LOL

Quick Reply: Opinions on thunder racing's T-rex cam...