Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to diagnose Fuel Injectors leaking?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to diagnose Fuel Injectors leaking?

When my car gets warm I notice at idle that I will occasionally see smoke white/grey, it smells like gas. I confirmed it's not coolant or oil...it smells like gas an leaves a black soot on the tail pipes. It reminds me of when my diesel injectors started sticking open at idle.

The car starts normally, and it doesn't miss, hesitate or stumble. I have an Aeromotive APR, coming off a -8 return line from the diaphragm in the middle of the stock 01' FPR...that returns back to the tank, I use a 97/98 fuel filter. 60lb mototron injectors (7 years old).

I put a fuel pressure tester on the end of the rail at the schrader valve, the running fuel pressure is 69psi. When the BAP kicks in it goes up to 74psi.

However if I just prime the system without starting the fuel pressure goes to 39/40....then when I turn the key off it rapidly drops down to under 10psi. It doesn't hold any pressure at all.

With a return system...similar to a 97/98 rail (just larger return line), should my fuel pressure drop from 40-10 psi the second I turn the key off after priming?

I suspect injectors but want to make sure I'm testing them correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to diagnose Fuel Injectors leaking?